PDA

View Full Version : two-tone syrup?

mspina14
04-29-2018, 10:15 AM
We poured that last bit of the last batch of syrup this season into a half-full bottle of syrup from earlier in the season that was in the frig.
The last syrup of the season seems to be floating on top of the early season syrup:

I would have thought the two batches would blend together and make a uniform color.

Any thoughts? :confused:

thanks

Mark

ecolbeck
04-29-2018, 10:40 AM
Are you talking about the thin darker strip at the top? Perhaps they didn't mix because they are different densities (caused by either temperature or sugar content). The extreme example is if you drop syrup into a glass of cold water it will fall to the bottom and stay there a while.

mspina14
04-29-2018, 01:57 PM
Yes. The darker strip at the top of the syrup.

I finish all my syrup batches to the same 66.7 brix. So I assume sugar density should be the same in all batches?

I could be wrong about that though. Still learning.

Mark

doocat
04-29-2018, 03:38 PM
heat it some and it will blend.

Super Sapper
04-30-2018, 05:42 AM
If you poured room temp syrup into cold syrup from the fridge the density will be different even with the same sugar content.

DrTimPerkins
04-30-2018, 09:02 AM
This sounds like inadequate mixing, however there is very rarely another issue that can occur in syrup called "layering", where syrup of two different chemical profiles will separate in a container, almost like water and oil. Very odd.

Galena
04-30-2018, 04:39 PM
Cool, I have been toying with the idea of trying to get two-tone syrup but on purpose, like floating a layer of light atop dark.