PDA

View Full Version : Tap size question

Johnjenner
04-28-2018, 09:01 PM
Been out of the maple shack for over 40 years and I am pumped to start back up next year. I plan on using some tubing into 5 gallon pales and some bags. What is the best diameter of spiles to use for each? Any help is greatly appreciated

mainebackswoodssyrup
04-29-2018, 05:09 AM
Use 5/16 spiles for the buckets. Do some research about 3/16 tubing and see if that is something you want to try. There's a lot of new technology out there so spend some time reading through the info on here. There's a lot of it!

maple flats
04-29-2018, 07:29 AM
Even if you decide to use 3/16 tubing (if you have elevation drop) I suggest you use 5/16 taps and drops (the tubing from the tap to the lateral line). The lateral line is the tree to tree tubing.
When you use 5/16 drops you have less sap being pulled back into the tap hole and if you use 3/16 drops. However, if you can put gravity to work for you on lateral lines you gain some natural vacuum.

maple flats
04-29-2018, 07:29 AM
Even if you decide to use 3/16 tubing (if you have elevation drop) I suggest you use 5/16 taps and drops (the tubing from the tap to the lateral line). The lateral line is the tree to tree tubing.
When you use 5/16 drops you have less sap being pulled back into the tap hole and if you use 3/16 drops. However, if you can put gravity to work for you on lateral lines you gain some natural vacuum.