PDA

View Full Version : leasing trees

jake
02-14-2003, 05:02 PM
hi..found a farmer that has quite a few trees ..he wants to know how much i will pay him to tap them...they are silver maples ..what does one pay for this and how about long term leases ...any information or opinions on this would be greatly appreciated ..thanx...jake

02-14-2003, 07:02 PM
Silver maples only have about .5 to 1% sugar and they bud out the fastest of the maple trees. So using the rule of 86. at .5% sugar you are at 172 gals. of sap to make 1 gal of syrup. 1% sugar you are at 86 gals sap to make 1 gal of syrup.

syrupmaker
02-15-2003, 02:31 AM
HI JAKE
I DO THE SAME AS YOU ARE THINKING OF DOING,BUT I TRY A DEAL WITH LAND OWNERS TRADEING MY FINISHED PRODUCT,I HAVE TWO THAT I NEED TO SUPPLY SYRUP FOR LAND OWNERS RELATIONS WHICH WORKS OUT TO ABOUT $40 FOR THE YEARS LEASE.

jake
02-15-2003, 05:51 PM
thanx for the replys....

bobbyjake
03-03-2003, 07:38 AM
I agree with lobstafari and syrupmaker. We try to rent trees for finished product working out to about a gallon of syrup per hundred taps or $.35 each. I would have to think this through further though with silvers. If you really need the product, you might want to set up a long-term lease (at least 10 years) and buy the sap off the owner minus the tubing installation costs, 0.5-1% sap only brings about $3 a barrel though. Good Luck with that one.