PDA

View Full Version : Window and alternative use questions

DMF
04-24-2018, 11:20 AM
I'm working on our sugar shack build. My wife insists we have screens on our windows. Does anyone have screens on their sugar shack windows?

Also, do any of you use your sugar shack for something else in the off seasons? This is kind of why my wife is looking for screens on the windows in case we use the building for something other than syrup (canning in the summer, maybe honey in the future...?)

Thanks!
Rich

Potters3
04-24-2018, 03:08 PM
I do have screens, but I used second hand windows I got for free. It is nice to open windows and not let all the critters in when it is nice out and we are boiling or caning

steve J
04-24-2018, 03:44 PM
I do not have windows and in the off season I move evaporator off to the side and I store my Polaris Ranger and log splitter in there with evaporator. I am not always at this property so its a bit of a security issue.

maple flats
04-24-2018, 07:01 PM
I have screens on 3 double slider window, but have never opened them.

heus
04-24-2018, 07:17 PM
They are nice to keep late season moths out when you are boiling.

Russell Lampron
04-24-2018, 07:27 PM
I have windows but no screens. I don't use the sugar house for anything in the summer unless I have to can some syrup.

NhShaun
04-25-2018, 07:47 AM
I used some old single pane windows that swing out from the top and i made screens for the inside. It helps during the sugaring season with the late season flies. And in the off season with ventilation when it's 95 degrees outside.

DMF
04-25-2018, 07:51 AM
I used some old single pane windows that swing out from the top and i made screens for the inside. It helps during the sugaring season with the late season flies. And in the off season with ventilation when it's 95 degrees outside.

How do you prop them open with the screen being on the inside?

NhShaun
04-25-2018, 09:48 AM
How do you prop them open with the screen being on the inside?
The screens are hinged at the top on the inside. Used some 1x1 pine to hold the windows open then lower the screen back down. Primitive set up but works and cost me nearly nothing.

johnallin
04-25-2018, 11:29 AM
My windows are fixed (non-opening) insulated glass panes, approx 36"x30", held into the openings with 3/4 x 1/2 wood stops. There are 2 windows on each side, allow lots of light. I made wood mullions up to break up the big expanse of glass. Since we most always have one of the doors open while boiling, screens aren't an issue. When it's cold the door is kept slightly ajar for makeup air to the arch. Screens can be real dirt, dust and cobweb catchers. Sure easy enough to make or have made, maybe try a year without them.

bigschuss
04-26-2018, 04:45 AM
Our sugar shack also serves as a garden shed. We keep all of our garden supplies, wheel barrow, tools, potting supplies, soil etc. in the shed. My shed also has a 2nd floor half loft with pull down attic stairs. I use that space during deer season to hang all of my clothes and keep them scent free. It's also where I get changed before and after the hunt. Finally, our shed sits on a full root cellar with bulkhead access.

When I built it it just didn't make financial sense to spend that kind of money on a nice looking building that I would only use 6 weeks out of the year to make less than a dozen gallons of syrup each year. Had to make it multi-function to rationalize the cost.

Ghs57
04-26-2018, 09:20 AM
I put three salvage Andersen casement windows in mine. They have screens, which keep out the flies/moths, and believe it or not, birds, who insist that the shack is the perfect place for their nests. I keep the upper windows open all season to help draft out the steam, and in the off season to keep the place aired out. This is particularly necessary while the pans are soaking in sour sap, which can smell disgusting.

My shack is really too small for any outer purpose in the off season, but it's attached to a bigger barn which holds everything else. I will just put all my supplies in there, and aside from the occasional maple tour, don't visit too often except when working on the building or equipment.

grapestomper
05-01-2018, 03:45 PM
I have screens. We use the building for other things during the year.
Nice to get the airflow thru without the bugs.

Tweegs
05-02-2018, 09:26 AM
Yes, screens.
Yes, we open the windows, usually late season.

We only store maple stuff in there during the off season (tubing, buckets etc.).
It’s a single purpose structure and treated as such.