PDA

View Full Version : Going under the road!

StephensMountainVermont
04-22-2018, 06:09 PM
Hey just looking for ideas or anyone who has put there main line under a road.. I have a new spot to hook up and there is a small colvert I could use right where I want to cross.. Just seeing what I could do for set up or to prevent freezing.
Thanks

Michael Greer
04-22-2018, 06:41 PM
I think I'd want to put a sleeve around the pipe, and figure out how to keep it dry and empty through the winter. Often culverts fill with ice in the winter and nothing gets through until stuff begins to melt. I f you don't get it installed ahead of time it might be impossible.

S.S.S
04-23-2018, 12:03 AM
Bore it under the rd

sap retreiver
04-23-2018, 05:17 AM
If it's a town road check with the road crew, they may have an issue or can tell you if it normally freezes during the winter. Usually if the ends stay snow covered they won't freeze. Sleeving it is a good idea also.

Bruce L
04-23-2018, 11:44 AM
What size is the culvert,and how full does it get during the winter? We used to run a mainline through a 6" culvert through an old railroad bed that snowmobiles would drive over all winter,missed countless runs of sap waiting for it to thaw out. Now we have a tank on the far side of that railroad bed,then a sap transfer line back to the main releasers whenever we need to draw sap over with the vacuum pump. Incidentally the line goes about 15' straight up in the air first so that it will not linger inside the culvert and freeze. Another issue might be liability. A neighbour wanted to run a line from his outdoor boiler through a culvert to his shop on the other side of the road,was told that under no circumstances could he do it

Michael Greer
04-23-2018, 11:59 AM
He shouldn't have asked.

batsofbedlam
04-23-2018, 03:03 PM
I have 2 inch and a half lines(wet, dry) running through a 30" round road culvert. I keep the vacuum running so it doesn't freeze under the road and have had no problems for 8 years.

TapTapTap
04-23-2018, 08:39 PM
Make sure you have downward pitch through the culvert without any sag. Sags cause sap to pool in the line and will freeze when the temperature dips below 32.