PDA

View Full Version : Odds of budding??

lewichuk19
04-21-2018, 10:26 AM
Our season in northern Ontario has been brutal. Normally too cold, but we did have the odd warmup here and there. Now our weather has decided it's gonna flip flop and go warm on us. Next 5 days are suppose to be mid 50's, nights are gonna hover around freezing. Then it is suppose to cool back down a bit. Still have lots of snow in the bush, except the south facing slopes which are starting to develop clear spots...What's everyones opinion on whether the trees will bud out on us????

whity
04-21-2018, 04:00 PM
I live in central NH. We finished our season about a month ago. As for budding, some trees have opened but most maples haven't yet. Depends how warm they got and how much sun. I have 2 good size maple in the yard with full exposure to the sun all day. Buds are swollen bud tight.

Russell Lampron
04-21-2018, 05:54 PM
I'm a couple of towns over from Whity and when I pulled taps today I noticed that the reds haven't even flowered yet. The leaf buds are swollen but still tight. Maybe you can survive the warm spell.

DrTimPerkins
04-22-2018, 08:08 AM
The "odds of budding" are pretty much 100% that budding/buddiness will occur at some point. There is no good way to predict it. The best way to know if you suspect sap is buddy is to boil a sample of sap in a saucepan until it is reduced by half or more. If buddy, the smell and taste will be apparent.

lewichuk19
04-22-2018, 09:07 AM
Thanks!!...will try that. Kinda new at this whole thing.

DrTimPerkins
04-22-2018, 10:03 AM
No problem. A bit of advice (take it or leave it as you see fit). Stop worrying about and looking at buds. Just make syrup. When it tastes bad....stop making syrup.

lewichuk19
04-22-2018, 10:13 AM
Think 'I'll take' that advice...

lewichuk19
04-22-2018, 10:24 AM
I have another question for ya Dr. Tim...last few days we have had mid 20 nights, but our days have been mid 50's to 60...trees seem to run great till it gets really warm, then they more or less slow right down to nothing...is this normal?...like is there a certain high temp that shuts off the trees??

DrTimPerkins
04-22-2018, 06:40 PM
The gas bubbles inside the fiber lumen are like balloons inside a wooden box. They can only expand so much until the wall prevents further expansion. Once you get to that point, no more bubble expansion, no more internal pressure, no more sap flow (maybe a little weeping flow).

lewichuk19
04-22-2018, 09:35 PM
So the hotter the temp the faster they expand?

Sunday Rock Maple
04-22-2018, 09:35 PM
The gas bubbles inside the fiber lumen are like balloons inside a wooden box. They can only expand so much until the wall prevents further expansion. Once you get to that point, no more bubble expansion, no more internal pressure, no more sap flow (maybe a little weeping flow).

It's very satisfying to hear a model that explains a reality that (up to that point) has been a puzzle.

Thanks again Dr.

DrTimPerkins
04-23-2018, 11:02 AM
So the hotter the temp the faster they expand?

To a point. That is why you get some real gusher type runs. The wood thaws quickly, bubbles expand quickly, sap flows out the taphole very fast.

DrTimPerkins
04-23-2018, 11:03 AM
It's very satisfying to hear a model that explains a reality that (up to that point) has been a puzzle.

Thanks again Dr.

You're welcome. Be thankful I didn't try to give you the 30-page scientific explanation. Even makes my head hurt.

ennismaple
04-23-2018, 03:22 PM
No problem. A bit of advice (take it or leave it as you see fit). Stop worrying about and looking at buds. Just make syrup. When it tastes bad....stop making syrup.

Very sound advice from an experienced sugarmaker. I used to worry about weather to the point of losing sleep. Now I simply boil what sap we get, if it freezes we sleep and if the syrup makes your mouth pucker up you shut down and clean up!