PDA

View Full Version : skimmer handle

forester1
08-09-2007, 06:59 AM
For my birthday I had some skimmer handles made out of birdseye maple. They came out really nice. Why use an ugly tool when you can have a pretty one?
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa136/Mindokwin/P8080011.jpg

TapME
08-09-2007, 07:05 AM
real pretty , I have always liked the look of birdseye and curly maple. Nice job.

forester1
08-09-2007, 11:46 AM
I bought the turning stock from Bell forest products, which is about 20 miles from me. They sold me 26 inch dowels which was enough for 2 10 inch handles with a 3 inch socket. http://www.bellforestproducts.com/ Then had a local wood turner turn the handles. It cost me about $17 total a handle not counting the gas to travel to Bell and the lathe guy.

Sugarmaker
08-09-2007, 07:55 PM
forester1,
Very nice detail and something you can be proud of!

Chris

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
11-19-2007, 10:21 AM
Jerry- I have got to get mine turned down one of these days from the lot of dowels you got for us/Haven't been thinking about it lately=there still setting in the corner of the closet from like a year+ ago.

They look pretty darn good-

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
11-19-2007, 10:52 AM
I should have mentioned in the earlier post that i have a bunch of fiddle/curly slices of boards that are 3/4" to 1" thick and up to maybe 2 1/2" wide(most are about 1"X1" square) that look awsome. Now if anyone wanted a couple/3 pieces of this wood for skimmer handles i'd send them for the exact postage it cost me to mail them to you. I'd just need to find boxes to put the wood into.

Maye the Pirate could post a picture of a section of the 8'- 10' piece i gave him to saw up for him and Russ lampron so they could have some handles that they could whittle on?.

I have changed e-mail addresses so send me a message to vrod33@peoplepc.com and put Skimmer Handles in the subject line so it won't get deleted.

maple flats
11-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Those handles look real sharp! They will help define your character and quality as visitors come see your operation.

forester1
11-19-2007, 01:24 PM
That's my plan. Don't look at the cracks in the concrete floor or check the straightness of the walls, check out these nice handles.

3% Solution
11-19-2007, 09:23 PM
Hey Governor,
You didn't happen to run into the fire in Claremont last night did you?
It wasn't quite as big as the one in the same exact spot 28.5 years ago, but it was pretty good.
Just couldn't resist, had to take it in.
Got some pics and got my pic on the WMUR website.
How's your sugar house and set up doing?

Dave

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
11-19-2007, 10:19 PM
Dave- I didn't happen to see the fire/just seen the photo on the front page of the eagle today. I've just been working on the lateral lines i took down a couple of years ago=putting up some different used stuff the past couple of weeks.
Been trying to find the gold. Went down under water once dredging in this 12'+ deep hole and a buddys son started up my 2" dredge right near the intake of my air compressor on my 4" dredge well i was down there for a good 20 minutes after i seen him dive down under with the hose and nozzle on the 2" dredge and start sucking gravel beside me and it seemed like i was getting sick like/trying to somewhat throw up in my full face dive mask. Bull head me stayed down there a little to long. I came up drunker then 3 mexican's walking down main street in Tijuana, Mexico. Holy Pecker was i walking crooked to shore. Carbon Monixide almost made me go tits up. Then you would have read about me in the paper.

Went to the center console in the truck and took 5 tylenol and waited an hour-Still felt like i'd been on a 7 day bender. Drove the 70+ miles from Bath back home and slept for 16 hrs. and still felt stupid when i got up after that=about 24 hours after the fact i was all right. Certainly learned a lesson from that. Now we keep the dredge's about 40' away from one another.

Been killing time today/Haven't been on here since like june/july so i figured i'd stop in on the trader and see whats up?

If anyone ask me a ? = Don't be alarmed if i don't have an answer for you- Think i lost close to half of my brain cell after that dredging mission.

royalmaple
11-20-2007, 02:19 AM
The ghost is back. I'll take a picture soon and post it so people can see the pieces. It is some super nice stuff.

3% Solution
11-20-2007, 07:20 AM
Morning Gov,
Yup that carbon monoxide is nasty stuff, it has to sloooooowly come out of your body.
That's why firefighters wear those things on their backs!
Glad your feeling better!
OK, OK sorry I took off on another tangent, those handles mint, very nice!!!
As Forester1 said folks will be looking at the handles rather than the cracks in the floor!!
Snowing here guys, the ground is starting to cover!!!
2 1/2 to 3 months before "T" time.

Dave