PDA

View Full Version : Anyone boil in their garage?

Milton
04-18-2018, 12:32 PM
I am planning on building a garage this year and would like to incorporate my small operation into it. I'm planning on a 24x36 garage with a 10 foot lean to roof off the back. I'm considering putting the evaporator under the lean-to as it would be easier to put the stack through. Any suggestions on this?

prairietapper
04-18-2018, 01:51 PM
I would check with my insurance company and make sure they are not going to stick it to me for having it attached to the garage.
also
if selling make sure you can have it approved and be connected to the garage

mol1jb
04-18-2018, 02:16 PM
What size evap are you running?

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-19-2018, 04:48 AM
Yes, separated by wall and a door. Insurance agent looked at it before I could cover the charred wall stud due to the stack. He rolled his eyes and smiled as I tried standing between him and the stud. I am covered, just can't have a wood stove in the garage, a stove is used for heat and can't have an appliance that uses a open flame like a wood stove, pellet stove.

Milton
04-19-2018, 08:23 AM
Hmm I will have to check on the stove in garage thing. I am in northern NY and almost every garage has a stove in it. It is still snowing up here. I made 8 gallons on a barrel stove this yr but will be going with a 2x4 for next. From what it sounds like if I have it outside under a lean to it may be better for insurance purposes.

n8hutch
04-19-2018, 09:20 AM
Insurance really all depends on the agent and the Insurance writer, the reason wood stoves are frowned upon in a Garage is they tend to be run unsupervised. A knowledgeable insurance writer will understand that a wood fired evaporator is constantly supervised, so it "should" be less of a risk to the company the Insurance writer represents. When I boiled in my garage I had a endorsement on my policy that allowed for the evaporator.

Keep in mind as soon as you start selling syrup you are a "commercial activity and you will need more than just homeowners on your building. Depending on the state but I know that is true for Maine & New Hampshire.

highlandcattle
04-19-2018, 02:35 PM
I'll put in my 2cents(adjust for inflation)if you're doing this for yourself,and you get approval from your insurance,great. But,if you are selling,well I think not a good thing. You have gas cans,paint,all sorts of stuff in a typical garage. Doesn't sound like a place to make a good product. Once again,unless it's for yourself. Just my idea.

DrTimPerkins
04-19-2018, 02:57 PM
This news story might be pertinent.

http://www.tribdem.com/news/salisbury-syrup-maker-charged-with-causing-hazard/article_2bfc5460-4364-11e8-a16a-eb0c7befe982.html

mol1jb
04-19-2018, 07:56 PM
This news story might be pertinent.

http://www.tribdem.com/news/salisbury-syrup-maker-charged-with-causing-hazard/article_2bfc5460-4364-11e8-a16a-eb0c7befe982.html

He should have had AOF on his arch 😉