PDA

View Full Version : Raw sap storage?

StephensMountainVermont
04-17-2018, 05:35 PM
How do you guys keep your raw sap before you RO it . is it outside or inside warm ? Because doesn't it need to be a certain temp before hitting the RO?

Cedar Eater
04-17-2018, 06:36 PM
It needs to be above freezing, but it processes faster if it is warmer, but the condensate spoils faster when it is warmer. I keep mine in my garage. I can open the door to the house to warm the air in the garage and I can open the door to the outside to cool the garage. I try to keep it around 38F.

Haynes Forest Products
04-17-2018, 06:58 PM
I have 3 SS dairy tanks that are insulated and outside with lids.it makes a big difference. I changed my ways and don't RO until I'm ready to cook. I keep the sap for no longer than 2 days and it has payed off in all my syrup this year going at grade A. Do not heat it up before ROing

maple flats
04-17-2018, 07:03 PM
Mine is stored in SS tanks outside. The issue of temperature is that sap spoils if not kept cold. RO's for maple are rated for gph at 37 degrees, the warmer the sap the faster it flows, but it also spoils faster.I think most producers try to keep the temp below 40F if they can. I like to see it at 35-37F.

Russell Lampron
04-17-2018, 07:29 PM
I store mine in a SS bulk tank which is outside. I leave the sap in the woods as long as possible because it's colder down there. I leave the door to my RO room open when I'm concentrating to keep it as cool as possible. My concentrate tank is in my woodshed which is on the cold side of the sugar house. See a theme here? I'm willing to sacrifice a little processing speed to keep the concentrate as cool as possible.

ennismaple
04-18-2018, 11:58 AM
How do you guys keep your raw sap before you RO it . is it outside or inside warm ? Because doesn't it need to be a certain temp before hitting the RO?

I pushed a lot of sap through the RO at or 1 degree below freezing this year. It is slow going and the best I can do with 2x 600 GPH membranes is 2GPM concentrate and 8 GPM permeate. On Easter Sunday we had sap that was +6C going through the machine and I was getting permeate flows in the range of 12 GPM. That meant I was getting rid of water 50% faster and making higher % concentrate.

So no it doesn't have to be heated but if you can heat the room with your raw sap tank it saves a lot of time trying to get the valve on the tank thawed out after a cold night!