PDA

View Full Version : Freezing sap

packrat
04-14-2018, 10:23 AM
Has anybody checked if it is feasible to throw away the ice in the bags of sap or am I just throwing away syrup? I am sure someone has figured this out so I dont have to reinvent the wheel. Thanks Harold

SDdave
04-14-2018, 10:35 AM
Throw the ice and don't look back. If your bags/buckets are partially frozen then toss it. If your vessels are fully frozen then wait for some thawing.

If you really want the science behind it...water that has a solution of sugar will have a lowered freezing point then pure water. When you have sap in a bucket near the freezing point the solution will concentrate and the "purer" water will freeze. Don't recall the exact name of this process, but it is essentially nature's RO. The ice will have a fraction of sugar left over though, but that is up to the producer to deem a viable option.

Hope that helps.

SDdave

Austin351
04-14-2018, 10:50 AM
Has anybody checked if it is feasible to throw away the ice in the bags of sap or am I just throwing away syrup? I am sure someone has figured this out so I dont have to reinvent the wheel. Thanks Harold

I just did a test yesterday, one gallon of sap which 3/4 was a frozen block. The liquid tested over 9% sugar, when I thawed and tested the ice it was 0.6% sugar. The pics are over on the Tapping _ Minnesota 2018 / 2018 page.

Cedar Eater
04-14-2018, 10:57 AM
Don't recall the exact name of this process, but it is essentially nature's RO.

Cold distillation is the name I've usually heard it called.

bigschuss
04-15-2018, 04:53 AM

There are probably 120 threads about this on this forum. Pitching the ice is generally considered to be a time saver.

Russell Lampron
04-15-2018, 05:05 AM
If you're boiling without an RO toss it and don't give it a second thought. If you do have an RO and a way to easily collect it get it into your storage tank to help keep the sap fresh.