PDA

View Full Version : Dry taps pulled, then sap pours out

CampHamp
04-13-2018, 08:45 PM
I haven’t had tap holes slow down late in the season with CV spouts, but this year was different and I’m not sure why. We had perfect weather the last couple days for big runs but I only took 5-10% of what I expected. Vac was at 21 - 23.

I thought the holes had healed shut and so started pulling taps. Almost every tap was dry or stalled but when I pulled taps the sap would flow pretty fast right to the ground.

I wonder if the spouts were blocking flow? As soon as I pulled the tap I heard air pulling through the spouts, so the valves weren’t blocked. All I can think is that the taps were seated in too deep and the tap only could access interior wood. Or maybe the healing happens from the core of the tree and when the outside layer of wood was exposed, it flows because that layer was not yet healed.

If someone knows if this is normal or if there is a way to prevent it next year, please let me know.

I had a record syrup year anyway, so not upset about it, but just confused!

Urban Sugarmaker
04-13-2018, 09:08 PM
Same happens to me even with bucket spouts. I think the stagnant sap is so slow that it can't overcome surface tension. When you pull the spout out it releases. This is my educated guess.

WESTMAPLES
04-14-2018, 07:28 AM
I haven’t had tap holes slow down late in the season with CV spouts, but this year was different and I’m not sure why. We had perfect weather the last couple days for big runs but I only took 5-10% of what I expected. Vac was at 21 - 23.

I thought the holes had healed shut and so started pulling taps. Almost every tap was dry or stalled but when I pulled taps the sap would flow pretty fast right to the ground.

I wonder if the spouts were blocking flow? As soon as I pulled the tap I heard air pulling through the spouts, so the valves weren’t blocked. All I can think is that the taps were seated in too deep and the tap only could access interior wood. Or maybe the healing happens from the core of the tree and when the outside layer of wood was exposed, it flows because that layer was not yet healed.

If someone knows if this is normal or if there is a way to prevent it next year, please let me know.

I had a record syrup year anyway, so not upset about it, but just confused! honestly i had the same exact thing happen with my CV`s and just thought it was because i tapped alot earlier than most years... but when i started pulling taps most would run right out on the tree bark as if they had been plugged, i also had waited for the end of the season gushers and did see the numbers i was expecting, things seemed to just shutoff

Mark
04-14-2018, 07:57 AM
I always thought it was a small amount of wood that was compressed and protected by the spout. Now it is exposed when the spout is pulled and it can flow.

CampHamp
04-14-2018, 09:38 AM
Same happens to me even with bucket spouts. I think the stagnant sap is so slow that it can't overcome surface tension. When you pull the spout out it releases. This is my educated guess.

What I see is the tap hole runs freely, like when you drill on a warm day. Also, I use vacuum so I would expect the tree to suck air back in when I pull a CV spout (like in years past).

CampHamp
04-14-2018, 09:48 AM
Westmaples,

Sounds like what I’m seeing. Perhaps with the strong freezes this year, the valves let sap back into the tap holes and the holes healed up. Or maybe it’s a bad batch of faulty valves. I got mine from Bascoms in early Feb. After I pull the rest today, I’ll inspect them and also try blowing water backwards through them to see if they seem faulty or damaged.

heus
04-14-2018, 09:01 PM
I had the same exact problem with my cv's this year in Ohio. The balls slimed up during a warm spell in February and many never ran again. I am pretty sure I am going away from cv's next year after using them for several seasons. Maybe the zap bac spouts but nothing with a ball to trap wood shavings or slime up and block the flow.

WESTMAPLES
04-15-2018, 08:35 AM
i didn`t think it was a blockage or backflow issue with the cv`s now that i tested a few cv taps from those bushes , i did find that some of the tap holes where not deep enough ( my part time helper is learning still ) with vac they would still run just small amounts of sap .... seems to me that the trees in my area got confused because the weather went from mildy cold begining of feb with good runs, then super warm a few days, then froze solid for 1 1/2 -2 weeks, and finally to decent sugaring weather with good runs, then down to a trickle ..... ( thinking my big normal end of the season runs where coming ) , i got sick of waiting and cleaned up. i also had low sugar start to finish, but i still made more syrup. hoping next season is even better ....

DrTimPerkins
04-15-2018, 12:00 PM
i didn`t think it was a blockage or backflow issue with the cv`s now that i tested a few cv taps from those bushes ...

CVs will delay taphole "drying", but at a certain point, all tapholes will dry out.

What you're probably seeing is some weepage from the area where the spout contacted the wood. Those vessels don't get as blocked by microbes, so when you pull spouts (if at the right time), you'll get some flow happening.

WESTMAPLES
04-15-2018, 12:36 PM
What you're probably seeing is some weepage from the area where the spout contacted the wood. thats what im seeing when pulling the taps yes, my season was my best yet but still odd when compared to my last 8 seasons worked out . well i learn something new every season and mine this yr was they don`t all end the same .... good luck to those of you still making steam!! thanks drtim

DrTimPerkins
04-15-2018, 03:04 PM
Just be reassured that you likely didn't lose any sap from that area. Good vacuum will pull sap quite a distance from surrounding vessels. There have been some attempts I've seen to design a spout to limit blocking sap flow from those areas, but none have worked out well, and probably aren't really needed anyhow. The design compromises are too large and probably don't result in any tangible benefit.