PDA

View Full Version : wooden steam hood

maplekid
08-06-2007, 06:56 PM
would a wooden steam hood work for a small producer like my self. i dont have money for sheets of steel so im going to go with the chaep way any advice... p.s. didnt get the pictures for my website yet.

White Barn Farm
08-06-2007, 08:29 PM
M.K
I used aluminum coilstock(like I use when I'm doing siding) A roll 24"x 50' is only around $70 and they make smaller rolls. I used my brake to bend it and pop riveted it together. It works great and it didn't take long to build. It's light as well

Pete33Vt
08-07-2007, 03:56 AM
The material I used was standing seam roof cuttoffs. If you can find someone that does roofing you could get a few of the cutoffs or the cover sheets that come on a full pallet. Then I used a brake and pop rivites. I have a 40x12 rig and it works great.

TapME
08-07-2007, 06:15 AM
If you use wood the dripping that drops into the pans may affect the flavor of the syrup. Just my 5cents.

brookledge
08-07-2007, 06:28 PM
another thing with wood is expansion and contraction. When you are boiling it will swell and afterwards it would shrink. As long as you don't try to have something like a sliding door or something that would be a problem like that give it a shot. But it will weight a lot.
I agree with the others though, find scrap aluminum or purchase some that is the way to go.It sure is cheaper than stainless
Keith

maplekid
08-07-2007, 08:51 PM
well i was planning on using a thin type of ply wood and mabe run a condensate collection channel around the edge and funnel it in to a jug or something.

Dave Y
08-08-2007, 05:16 AM
I would not use plywood! there are glues and other chemicals in it. Plus it will come a part from all that moisture. regardless of how good your condesate channels are you will have it dripping back in to your pan. I would go with out a hoods before I used wood.

Fred Henderson
08-08-2007, 05:36 AM
The Plywood will cost you more than the alu coil stock.

maplekid
08-08-2007, 08:00 AM
well i have the plywood thre is about 3-4 pieces of 4x8 sheets and i thought i could put them to use

mcmp
08-08-2007, 07:34 PM
well i have the plywood thre is about 3-4 pieces of 4x8 sheets and i thought i could put them to use

You need to realize your making a food product. Anything that comes in contact with the product MUST ( SHALL) be food grade. This product is being eaten by people, even babies, not animals. Wood Hood = Probable Bacteria. Dave Y is right on the money, Glue and chemicals leaching back into the food product. Is the boiling process going to kill or remove the contaminating issue ? Who knows, who wants to chance it with food products.

I beg you to consider one more issue, the issue of liability. Do something to a food product that causes sickness or death and your the target for a law suit that will ruin your life.....forever....And you have no defense when your using non food grade equipment, chemicals or any other home grown notion.

I dont post much, but I read this forum all the time. I have been in commercial syrup for 64 years, I have seen it all. And I still shudder when I read on this forum how some people want to use non good grade products, in-on- or around the food process.

I am not a Curmudgeon wanting to jump on someone. I am trying to help you and especially help the people that eat your product, to have quality Food Grade Maple Syrup.

I beg each of you reading to search your operation for areas that do not meet food grade. I have been in Sugar houses where the process is actually very clean and proper. Yet the sugarmaker has old clothes on that looked like he was out working on the septic field, and he stunk. Would you want to eat his syrup....not me.

Ok, off my soap box. But in the future, when someone is going to do somehting that is not food grade, I am going to speak up, for what its worth.

Paul
Moose Creek Maple Products

maple maniac65
08-08-2007, 08:09 PM
Thankyou Paul for speaking up.

Here in NH there is a voluntary maple registration and inspection. I have been doing it for 2 years now and having the Seal Of Quality Logo on my sugar house. It sure has boosted my sales.

Maple syrup is a food and no matter what state it is made in you wouldn't want that state named for having maple syrup that does not taste good.

TapME
08-09-2007, 06:46 AM
Thanks Paul, It makes a lot of sense to cook syrup the same way you would feed your family, or would like to be fed.

Sugarmaker
08-09-2007, 08:25 PM
Paul, and Dave Y
Good comments!

Regards,
Chris

H. Walker
08-12-2007, 10:29 AM
In addition to what Paul said, COST should never be the determining factor when it comes to cutting corners with food safety.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
08-12-2007, 05:02 PM
If you can't afford to do an aluminum or stainless hood, wait another year. 1 year isn't going to make or break you.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
08-12-2007, 08:48 PM
50 years ago my father said and i qoute him "treat mayple sap and syrup just like it was milk"

RICH

Fred Henderson
08-13-2007, 06:54 AM
I say that if you can not do it right then don't do it. A wooden hood it not right and certianly not sanitary.