PDA

View Full Version : Your Kitchen

Tweegs
04-12-2018, 07:44 AM
Wife and I have decided to add a new garage to the house and convert the existing garage to a sugaring kitchen with every intention of having it licensed.

It’s not something were just thinking about, the contractor has been hired, prices negotiated, architect is working on the drawings, permits are being pulled (those that can be right now). It’s a done deal. We have a meeting with the Ag inspector in two weeks and we’re breaking ground the end of May.

We have a layout for the kitchen in mind, something we think will work from a function and convenience standpoint.
But with every large project there’s always something you wish you’d have done differently.

Now I’m not asking anyone to design for me the perfect kitchen.

What I am asking for is that you describe one thing you would change, or have changed, with yours to make it more functional, practical or convenient.

maple2
04-13-2018, 06:47 AM
We have a certified kitchen in our home. Need more counter space, larger and deeper sink, more fridge space

Haynes Forest Products
04-13-2018, 07:33 AM
Good Power around the walls, storage cabinets for the the every day uses. Easy clean floors with drain. Wide doorways with the ability to use a dolly or carts. Yes have the triple sink but also a nice size one with foot pedals. The fridge is the last thing you need taking up space. You cant eat or drink during the food handling process. That can be out in an other area.

Kettle Ridge
04-13-2018, 08:43 AM
We put too many doors and windows in ours, which cuts down our counter and shelf space.

Moser's Maple
04-13-2018, 11:50 AM
Floor drains. Especially by your equipment your going to be using.
Faucets by your equipment also. Then when you are finished you can wash that piece right in place. I a firm believer you can never have too many outlets, water sources, drains, countertop, and storage.

BAP
04-14-2018, 05:33 AM
A good source of hot water. Tankless heater water would be preferable because if you go for a time without using the water it can get so it smells. The water sitting in the water tank can become smelly sitting. We had that happen in ours one time.

mol1jb
04-14-2018, 12:12 PM
Whatever the Ag inspector/health dept wants. This will make inspections incredibly easy if you keep them in a close loop of communication throughout the planning and building process

Tweegs
04-17-2018, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the tips folks.
We’ve made a couple of changes based on suggestions, but overall I think we are on the same page.

Another thought.
Do any of you have a walk-in cooler?

Once I retire from the day job (3 years), we’re looking at expanding by picking up another market. This would mean buying bulk (5-10 barrels, maybe??) and repackaging for retail.

We don’t have the means to store underground (water table is high, lots of clay, no drainage, we don’t perk), yet we do need to at least keep the barrels cool.

I’m not keen on a cooler, my wife thinks it’s necessary…it’s a struggle… and not something we need to decide on or install right away (though I will run a 220 feed to the proposed area now, in case she wins the battle).

Thoughts?

DaveB
04-17-2018, 10:14 AM
I don't have a cooler but it's on my bucket list. We have clients that we repack for but we typically do one drum at a time so there is little need to store one. However, I can see us buying multiple at a time and being able to open them all and having a place to keep them cold. When I do build one, I plan on using a Coolbot (https://www.storeitcold.com/). It's cheaper than a commercial unit.

bobbyjake
04-18-2018, 10:17 AM
Many small breweries have a small room for kegs that they superinsulate and just have an oversized air conditioner for the room. It isn't a cooler per se, but it will keep beer drinkers thinking it is. I see DaveB's Coolbot is along the same lines.

Kettle Ridge
04-18-2018, 12:06 PM
Just finished constructing our crawl-in cooler using Coolbot. Made it chest high so it accommodates barrels but also can store bulky container boxes on the top of the cooler. Seems to be working pretty good.

regor0
04-18-2018, 02:31 PM
http://360dacks.com/toad-hill-maple-farm

Here is a link to a beautiful maple kitchen.

twofer
04-18-2018, 07:17 PM
We didn't put any 220 volt plugs in the kitchen area. I have no idea why I did not think about adding in high voltage plugs for oven, water-jacketed canner, or whatever. I do give myself credit for having multiple plugs on all of the walls for both the evaporator room and kitchen.