PDA

View Full Version : SNOW: Help of Hurt?

backyardsugarer
03-16-2004, 01:10 PM
We are going to get about a foot of snow here in Rochester. Will this hurt, help, or not affect future sap runs. In the past I have had some of my best runs after storms.

Chris

syrupmaker
03-16-2004, 02:00 PM
Chris....in past years we have found it is all that you mentioned-helps hurts.It hurts cause the wood pile and buckets are snowed in ,but it helps the sugar content by being cold and driving the sap around in the tree.as it melts it provides a water source for the next few warm days and flows up the tree. Sounds like you might get more snow than us.Rochester trying to beat Buffalo for the year or what?

Rick

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
03-16-2004, 05:24 PM
Well Id say, it probably will save me down here in Pa for a few more days :?: Suppose to get anywhere from 6"-9". Let it come :!: Got 6" aleady.

Chuck :mrgreen:

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-17-2004, 04:55 PM
Snow is the best thing that can happen in the middle of the season.

1 helps kill insects
2 helps the mud situation
3 when it warms up, the trees run like mad :D :D :D
4 helps the sugar content usually

:D :D :D :D

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
03-19-2004, 05:39 PM
Brandon,
those four answers all sounded great to me :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Chuck

WF MASON
03-20-2004, 04:37 AM
Last season after 7 boils here in maine the grade went to dark , we had 6'' of snow and it went back up to medium for a couple boils.

Russell Lampron
03-20-2004, 06:01 AM
If you already have 3 or 4 feet of snow and just got done unburing all of your sap lines and opening up your roads it hurts. :( If the ground is bare and you need the moisture it helps. :D

Russ

Algier 2x6 with preheater steamhood
Stihl chainsaws and brushsaw
1930 Model AA Ford doodlebug tractor
2004 Honda Foreman S ATV with 35 gallon gathering tank