PDA

View Full Version : Defoamer dispenser

ennismaple
04-10-2018, 02:19 PM
I'm hoping someone on here can help me with a hard to find part. We bought a defoamer dispenser from CDL last year (not made by them they re-sell someone else's product meant for other industry) and it worked well for us. No more timers going off every 10-15 minutes! Set it and forget it.

When we set it up this year we must have set it differently because the steam warped the clear PVC housing of the dispenser.

I can get a replacement part but the manufacturer (whom I won't even give the free advertising) won't deal with me directly and through their local distributors they have a $100 minimum order. No F'n way I'm paying $100 USD for a couple dollars worth of pipe!

I'm 99% sure the clear housing we warped is just 3" ID (3.5" OD) clear Schedule 40 PVC pipe. I only need a piece 3.5" long but anyone I call can only get me a full pipe length which is obviously way too much material and $$$.

Does anyone know a good source where I can get just a foot of this pipe of maybe have a chunk kicking around that we can work out a deal on? Worst case I get a piece of 3" ID grey PVC and have to live with not being able to see how much defoamer is in the dispenser.

Thank you in advance.

DaveB
04-10-2018, 02:51 PM
I'm hoping someone on here can help me with a hard to find part. We bought a defoamer dispenser from CDL last year (not made by them they re-sell someone else's product meant for other industry) and it worked well for us. No more timers going off every 10-15 minutes! Set it and forget it.

When we set it up this year we must have set it differently because the steam warped the clear PVC housing of the dispenser.

I can get a replacement part but the manufacturer (whom I won't even give the free advertising) won't deal with me directly and through their local distributors they have a $100 minimum order. No F'n way I'm paying $100 USD for a couple dollars worth of pipe!

I'm 99% sure the clear housing we warped is just 3" ID (3.5" OD) clear Schedule 40 PVC pipe. I only need a piece 3.5" long but anyone I call can only get me a full pipe length which is obviously way too much material and $$$.

Does anyone know a good source where I can get just a foot of this pipe of maybe have a chunk kicking around that we can work out a deal on? Worst case I get a piece of 3" ID grey PVC and have to live with not being able to see how much defoamer is in the dispenser.

Thank you in advance.

It's always the smallest thing that can ruin something. There's a seller on eBay that will do a 6" piece for $17. I don't know if that helps and I know it seems expensive but cheaper than $100.

wiam
04-10-2018, 02:55 PM
If you search “3 clear pvc pipe” on eBay there is a bunch.
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Clear-acrylic-Plastic-Plexiglass-Pipe-tube-3-89-mm-fits-3-PVC-fittings-by-ft/222905255543?hash=item33e6304677:g:r70AAOSwqRRZ0TR i

DrTimPerkins
04-10-2018, 03:13 PM
You can get replacement GLASS for these dispensers at McMaster Carr https://www.mcmaster.com/#oil-dispensers/=1cctk8a for $1.82

Pretty sure you won't melt that. ;)

wiam
04-10-2018, 08:29 PM
You can get replacement GLASS for these dispensers at McMaster Carr https://www.mcmaster.com/#oil-dispensers/=1cctk8a for $1.82

Not trying to start trouble. Is glass ok there? I know the VMSMA inspection wants glass light bulbs covered. I ask because I just bought a dispenser on eBay that I believe has glass.

DrTimPerkins
04-11-2018, 08:36 AM
We used in in spaces that were outside the evaporator (we now use a Lapierre autodefoamer system). Holes were drilled in the evaporator hoods for the dripper to be mounted in and oil to flow through. No way for glass to get into the product.

Glass is also used in "sight tubes" for many evaporators. Doubt you'd find any kind of plastic that would hold up there.

maple maniac65
04-11-2018, 11:54 AM
If you have any trouble ordering from McMaster Carr give me a shout. I can order it and send it up to you. I have those glass bulbs in the cellar but they were oil drippers on a vacuum pump. I am sure a couple of times through a dish washer and they would be just fine.

Dennis H.
04-12-2018, 02:46 AM
Are not the globes of the light bulb covers glass?

I have gotten stuff thru McMaster Carr and never had any issues with shipping, good place to buy from.

maple maniac65
04-12-2018, 04:54 AM
Are not the globes of the light bulb covers glass?

I have gotten stuff thru McMaster Carr and never had any issues with shipping, good place to buy from.

Do you live in Canada or Pennsylvania. Just offering the guy some help if they did not ship international

Amber Gold
04-12-2018, 07:16 AM
I've thought about getting a defoamer dripper like this. Do they work well at controlling foam...set it and forget it?

If the container is outside the hood though, how does the defoamer stay warm enough to stay liquid. It's something I fight with most of the season.

ennismaple
04-12-2018, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the offer Maple Maniac65 - I'll let you know!

We did have the dripper mounted in the open door to the steam hood on the flue pan. Last year this wasn't a problem but this year we melted it.

I plan to mount the dripper to the side of the float box adjacent to the flue pan. If we start out with the defoamer as liquid by putting the bottle in a warm water bath it should stay liquid once the evaporator is up to temperature.

wiam
04-12-2018, 10:31 AM
Here is the one I just got. It is not a taper thread!
https://m.ebay.com/itm/50mL-1-4-quot-PT-Male-Thread-Engine-Machine-Lubracator-Oil-Gravity-Drip-Feed-Oiler-/271497899762?txnId=1969608591017

And this one is headed my way.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LYYDFJA

maple flats
04-12-2018, 06:41 PM
I mounted mine in the side of my hood, near where the incoming sap enters the flue pan. I drilled a small hole, then used a 7/8" greenlee punch to make the entry hole. In that I fastened a 1/2" SS bulkhead fitting. Inside I attached a street 45 and a 2" long nipple to get the defoamer to land in the flue pan and not the hood gutter. Then on the outside I have an elbow and then a nipple with a coupling on top to screw the defoamer dripper. While the bulk head fitting is 1/2", it reduces to 1/4" both inside the hood and outside and all of the parts are then SS in 1/4". I used the 1/2" bulkhead and reduced to 1/4" because I owned the 7/8" punch and to buy the size for a 1/4" bulkhead to fit cost more than I paid the way I did it. I still need to warm my dripper using a light on it about 6-8" away, or when the evaporator is first starting and for about the first 60-75 minutes the defoamer does not melt. After about 90 minutes running I can shut the light off, but don't usually.

ennismaple
04-13-2018, 02:21 PM

Thanks Dr Tim. I think the part for $1.82 is the sight glass below the bowl and not the actual bowl itself?

Ebay may be my best option.