PDA

View Full Version : smoke stack to close

maplekid
08-04-2007, 08:21 PM
i am in the process of biulding my brick arch a little better(still looks krappy) and i have run my stak out of the back wall and when it goes up the back wall it has only 4 inches from the back wall i see this as a problem should i be worried about this. i have firebourd in the garadge that i could use but i need to know if it is neccesarrie. i only want a pile of ashes in the evaporator not around it.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
08-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Either put up the fireboard or some ceramic blanket. It is outside and will have air circulating around it better than inside and likely cooler temps, but a long day could set the building on fire, especially if it is singe walled pipe.

maplekid
08-04-2007, 09:35 PM
yeah it is just six inch stove pipe and like i said i want ashes in the evaporator not around it so i will get the fire boourd up tomarow before it gets to hot to to even walk out to the sugarhouse.

royalmaple
08-05-2007, 06:59 AM
If you have some junk metal roofing, you can put a piece of that standing up behind the pipe and the insulation to deflect the heat. Nice thing about that stuff is it has the ripples in it and will allow air to move behind it as well, and not just bake.

3% Solution
08-05-2007, 07:38 AM
Maplekid,
Don't just attach the material (whatever you use) directly to the garage wall!!!
Put some type of spacer, like a 2x4 or something to allow alot of air to circulate behind it.
Metal works well as it reflects the heat waves!
In my firefighting career I have seen many of woodstoves setting in the middle of ashes and that's not a good thing. So do it right!!!
Have fun!!

Dave

maplekid
08-05-2007, 01:54 PM
yeah i put a 2x4 behind it . a couldnt wait any longer and i finally did my first test boil today( just shut her down 10 min ago) and man did she put off the steam i havent cut the hole in the roff for the cupola so i will have to do that today it raining outside and i dont need a broken arm or something from sliding off the roof. thank you for your help:-). p.s. im taking pictures of the sugarhouse evaporator and that stuff and will be posted on my site tomarow.(hopefully)

maple flats
08-06-2007, 05:40 AM
Better than a 2x4 spacer, cut 1" lengths of metal tubing (copper pipe) and mount the steel using the spacers. Using a 2x4 as a spacer you still have a combustable and it is now closer to the heat than what you wanted to protect by 1.5 or 2 inches. Make sure you are protected where the pipe penetrates the back wall and that no where is there single wall pipe any closer than 36" to combustables. If not using non combustable insulation you need 36" clearance, every time you put a layer of metal properly spaced in between you reduce the requirement by half, a second layer cuts it another half and a third cuts it another half, for example 36/2=18, 18/2=9, 9/2=4.5, now it is safe. Each layer should have a non combustable spacer to hold a 1" or more space. I was in the wood burner business for years and this it what is required to be safe.
When an clearance is not adaquate the wood heats to a point where certain gases evaporate out of the wood and eventually you have charcoal, charcoal ignites at somewhere around 300 degrees and your stack will be 600-900 degrees. This is where many people eventually have fires, they get to the charcoal state and then the fire ignites. Be safe now and prevent future disasters.

Fred Henderson
08-06-2007, 02:22 PM
Better yet don't use any kind of a spacer. Any thing that has a solid contcat will transfer heat. Hang that piece of tin with wire from the ceiling. There will be less heat up higher away from the arch.