PDA

View Full Version : End of season final boil

lords sugaring
04-07-2018, 02:17 PM
Hey everyone,

Wondering what you all do to finish off the season with the remaining sap and sweet in the pans. Do you draw it all off and finish on something else ? Looking for something easier than boiling down 20 gallons in my stove.

mol1jb
04-07-2018, 02:41 PM
With a raised flue setup you can drain the flue pan and fill it with water then add your sweet manually through the front pan.

maple flats
04-07-2018, 02:46 PM
I have a finisher, once I have condensed as much as I dare in the evaporator, I pump it over to the finisher and boil the rest of the way on that. At the same time I fill both pans with permeate and do a boil in that. Then I drain the flue pan and start the flue pan washer while I continue boiling permeate in the front. After the flue pan is finished (about 60-90 minutes) I drain it, then I use vinegar in the front pan. I used to drain the syrup pan, then add vinegar, I think this time I'll leave permeate in the back pan and the front then just add a gallon of vinegar with the permeate in the front and boil it a while, then let it set overnight.

Russell Lampron
04-07-2018, 03:16 PM
I drain my flue pan and fill it with water. I set my finisher pan on top of my front pan and fill it with the sweet from the flue pan. My finisher pan has a spigot on it so I have that drain into one float box while I draw off through the other one. When all of the sweet is drained out of the finisher pan I shut down the evaporator and and once it's cooled I put the contents back into my finisher pan and finish it to syrup.

motowbrowne
04-07-2018, 07:33 PM
With a raised flue setup you can drain the flue pan and fill it with water then add your sweet manually through the front pan.

That's what I do. I try to be ready with my pan cleaner at that point as well and clean the flue pan at the same time as I'm finishing the syrup in the front pan.

wnybassman
04-07-2018, 07:47 PM

Just did that tonight myself. Never did it before and it seemed to work out pretty good. The flue pan drainings I had in buckets, but filled a couple stock pots and got them boiling on propane. This way when I added to the syrup pan it was already hot. I was able to make a few draws during the process, then once everything was in the front pan, I brought it to about 6 1/2º before letting the fire die out. Once the firebox was cool enough, I drained the front pan and replaced it with permeate. During the whole process, which took just under three hours, I boiled off about 30-35 gallons of permeate in my flue pan.

Sugarmaker
04-08-2018, 09:14 AM
We push the final sap/syrup through with water.
Regards,
Chris