PDA

View Full Version : “Floaties” but only in syrup stored in refrigerator

ssb
04-06-2018, 09:44 AM
Has anyone had an issue with their syrup being perfectly clear with nothing ever in the bottom or floating when stored at room temp but niter on the bottom and what we call floaties if stored in the refrigerator? You can see the cloudiness or floaties when held up to the light. Our syrup is always very light so it’s very noticeable. Takes about a week for the floaties or cloudiness to show up in fridge but we can store for atleast 2 years at room temp with zero issues. Any help or explanation would be much appreciated.

ssb
04-08-2018, 12:24 PM
Am I the only one that has seen this? The day I posted this I took a sacrificial lamb 12 oz bottle from 2017 that was crystal clear that has been in our storage cabinet with the other carry over syrup and put it in the fridge. This am it is cloudy. Can anyone help me understand what is going on here? It’s not a huge deal to us anymore because we are now confident enough in our bottling that we leave it in cool dark cabinet but we are just curious.

mol1jb
04-08-2018, 01:27 PM
Maybe post a picture so people know exactly what you are seeing.

Galena
04-08-2018, 01:42 PM
Maybe post a picture so people know exactly what you are seeing.

Make sure that there is a strong light source BEHIND the bottle, and take a pic. If using a celphone to do so, turn off the flash or it'll be hard to see what you're talking about.

ssb
04-08-2018, 06:11 PM
[ATTACH=CONFIG]18505[/ATTACH

The second pic has the “floaties” niter? And the first pic is 2 year old syrup we have never put in fridge. Same batch.

ssb
04-08-2018, 06:17 PM

In this pic it’s the same 2 bottles. Bottle on left is the cloudy one. I think the first pics in the previous post probably shows it better. Didn’t really think anyone would be able to see it in pics so didn’t do this with original post but I think it is at least kinda evident what I’m talking about?

northwood
04-09-2018, 10:27 AM
Sorry, can't really see anything in the pics. I've had syrup go a little cloudy after opening, but it was from high sugar content (reduced a little to much) Small sugar crystals would start to form after opening but the crystals usually attached to the glass bottle.

deckers007
04-09-2018, 01:25 PM
Yes i have had the exact same thing, emptied 3 cases of bottles and re filtered, seems fine now. only thing i can think of was that i used tap water (well water) to thin it out a bit, normally i use distilled water but did not have any at the time.

ssb
04-09-2018, 01:28 PM
Thanks for looking. Yep I’ve seen that too, go to bottom or side of bottle. If you look at the bottle being held up to the inside light you can see the white stuff. Hard to see unless you know what you are looking at. I’m starting to get the feeling I’m getting no luck on this because very few people have put syrup in a fridge. The syrup we have put in freezer for one reason or another hasn’t done it, only fridge syrup. Perplexing....

ssb
04-09-2018, 01:31 PM
Deckers, so this happened to syrup in fridge? If so it wasn’t the tap water because we only reduce with distilled water or sap. We reboiled and adjusted brix on 2 gallons of the cloudy fridge syrup and rebottled and now leaving it out and it’s fine.