PDA

View Full Version : The perfect little sugar shack layout and design...

Dirty Birch
04-06-2018, 08:33 AM
After a couple years with multiple turkey cookers and buffet pans, I'm pulling the trigger on a Mason HOBBY EVAPORATOR XL 3' Model (3' X 2') for next year. Going from 20 taps to 50. With that said, I'd like to build a little sugar shack for the operation this coming summer.

Have any of you built the "Perfect Little Sugar Shack"? What's your opinion on layout and design. Drawings and pictures would help my simple mind! LOL

woodsy
04-06-2018, 10:01 AM
Dunno about perfect but here is our shack w attached wood shed, just haven't moved the boiling operation inside yet but do the finishing and
honey extraction in there. 12' x 16', lumber from the property . 6 windows, door, roofing, plywood floor all for under 1 K.
Building sits on 4 16" round x 6" concrete pads. Started with 2 6 x 6 x 16' , placed the floor joists on top of them.
Got a heck of a deal on the windows, all for < 400. Upper gable end windows are operable for venting.

Ghs57
04-06-2018, 10:02 AM
This has some good ideas:

https://www.uvm.edu/~uvmaple/sugarhousedesign.pdf

Be careful with your tap count on a small evaporator. It's easy to be swamped when the sap is running, and spend many, many hours boiling.

tombaisley
04-06-2018, 11:48 AM
I ordered the the same 3' XL about a week ago, This summer, I plan on putting up a 10'x12' shed with attached leanto for firewood

bigschuss
04-07-2018, 05:39 AM
I have a Mason 2x4 and my 12x16 shack is about perfect. I have a deck on one side for wood storage and hanging out drinking cold ones. I have a little shed on the other for ATV's, collecting wagons. etc. Inside there is a half loft for the head tank and bucket storage in the off-season. Check out my avatar.

minehart gap
04-07-2018, 07:01 AM
Dirty Birch, the perfect sugar shack would probably be a 40'x60' insulated building with radiant floor heat, electricity and easy access. If I had that, I would still need a place to put my evaporator.

But seriously, go a little bit bigger than you think that you will need. You are going to get visitors and there's nothing worse then trying to feed the fire with everyone in the way or spilling syrup because you don't have the room to turn around.

mol1jb
04-07-2018, 07:27 AM
If I were you I would plan the size based on your max possible taps.

Schroomer
04-07-2018, 09:03 AM
I am planning my shack build this summer. I just rec'd my confirmation from Bill that my order for a Mason 2x3 is on the books. I am wicked excited about that even though my block arch build was doing 7 gph. But after a 10 hour boil in 10 degrees and 20-30mph winds my wife told me it was time to build a sugar shack and get the equipment I needed to boil inside before she found me frozen solid. That's 1 of a couple hundred reasons I married that girl 40 years ago. After getting an education from looking at hundreds of photos (a special shout out to Windy Acres) and reading everything I could, I ended up buying the plan set from Jamaica Cottages for their 8x12 sugar shack. I'm on a fixed income so I need to be frugal as I do this. I build some furniture every now and then but have never built a standalone building. So for me, $35 for a set of plans was an easy decision, and after spending time with their plan set, I know the building of it is within my wheelhouse. The 53 page document has plans, templates for cutting rafters for newbees, materials list, etc. I am going to document every step of the process to share on MT in hopes that if someone sees me doing something stupid in the build, they'll dope slap me in the right direction. I don't ever anticipate exceeding 50 taps (40 maple and 10 for birch) so the 2x3 should do the trick as well as the 8x12 size. I plan on using a 12'x16' 6" thick compacted gravel base with the 6 main beams on concrete footings. I will pour a pad for the 2x3 arch and use 4'x6' stall mats from Tractor Supply inside. In the back of my brain is the plan of adding another 8x12 next year to use for storage and a little brew house. Good luck Dirty Birch and I look forward to seeing yours as it takes shape. And to the other folks that post and educate us in the process, thanks.

steve J
04-07-2018, 09:43 AM
I started with mason 2x4 but within 3 years I was tapping more than it could handle so bought mason 2x4 with blower and I had both in a 10 x12 originally buthave since expanded to 10x16 because I store my side by side in there when not boiling.

Michael Greer
04-07-2018, 01:06 PM
At whatever size you choose, make the woodshed even bigger. A woodshed is a cheap building to put up and if it's too big you'll have left over firewood. If you ever expand, you'll have that extra capacity all ready for you.

Road's End
04-08-2018, 03:03 PM
12x16 would work very well. I have a 12x16 right now with a 2x6 and an RO "closet" with a pair of tote tanks stacked in one corner and there is no extra space, but it works. A 2x3 would leave plenty of room for a work bench on one side for bottling/etc and seating on the other side. Uses lot of shelves or even a small loft for extra storage if the evaporator is not right in the middle.