PDA

View Full Version : North East Ohio 2018 Wrap-Up

johnallin
04-04-2018, 04:38 PM
2018 has been an interesting season. With some setting records, others seeing average results, and some with very low numbers. At 26½ gallons on 205 taps, so far I've made more syrup than in 2013, my record year. Sugar was about 1.6-1.7% which is a tad higher than the norm for me.
Post your results and comments - maybe someone will be able to make some sense out of this crazy season. It would be interesting to compare notes and try to figure out if location or some other factor(s) played out this season.

I'm seriously thinking about looking into an air injection system for next season. Too much sand and dark syrup this year for me.

** I also think there may be one more boil coming up this week, but will close down my sugar house this weekend if nothing runs between now and then. Really like the boiling part----- wood cutting and splitting-----not so much fun anymore.

Nogden3929
04-04-2018, 09:02 PM
So far 60 gallons from around 300 taps. Thought I smelled something two batches ago and it was buddy but the last batch was clearest we have made so far.

Sand was terrible and sugar content 1.5, prior years over 2.

Was very impressed with a lunchbox vacuum releaser bought last minute for some new woods we tapped.