PDA

View Full Version : Draw off container.

Trapper2
04-04-2018, 02:53 PM
I've been taking near syrup out of the pan at 216-217 degrees and put into a food grade plastic jug. Its always in the back of my mind that someday the hot syrup will melt a hole in my 7 gallon jug, should I be worried? What does the small time guy use that's safe? Thanks

I just found this, maybe I'm safe.

:Melting Points of Plastics

Different types of plastic have different melting points because they are different chemical compounds. For example, PVC melts at approximately 175 degrees Celsius (347 degrees Fahrenheit). Different types of HDPE, recycle symbol "2," have a melting point range between 130 and 146 degrees Celsius (266 and 295 degrees Fahrenheit). Different types of polypropylene, recycle symbol "5," melt between 160 and 208 degrees Celsius (320 and 406 degrees Fahrenheit). If other compounds are included in the plastic, making it impure, the melting point will be reduced

NhShaun
04-04-2018, 03:30 PM
I've seen a lot of people using stainless buckets, around 3 gallons or so. They are pricey thru the maple suppliers though, as anything stainless is pricey to begin with. I have seen a 9qt stainless bucket at tractor supply in the pet area. There are no markings on the stainless and I have heard all stainless is not technically food grade. But I suppose it could be better than a plastic bucket. I've always used a 7.75 gal stainless keg with the top cut off with cone filters inside. Even for nearup it helps the filtering process down the road if I filter right off the evaporator. The keg cost me 25 bucks and it's practically new.

maple flats
04-04-2018, 03:50 PM
Before I had my draw tank, I used a few 20 qt. SS pots from Walmart. They came with a glass domed top with a SS handle. I only paid $29.88 for them. They were a nice sturdy pot. I just looked on Walmart's site but I No longer see the ones I bought. They worked good. They were sold as a stock pot for making big dishes like a large pot of soup. I do see that they have a few others, some quite pricey, some rather low priced. Check them out. Just realize that if you find something similar to mine, the pot likely weighs close to 10# empty, then if you put about 18-19 qts of HOT syrup in it, you will have a heavy load to carry. One idea might be to just get 1, fill it about half way, then dump it into the buckets you have.

Trapper2
04-04-2018, 04:25 PM
I should have clarified. I need something with a lockable cover/ lid that won’t move when going over a mile of logging road with bumps and potholes in it.

Austin351
04-04-2018, 04:32 PM
Look for stainless cream cans / milk buckets at antique stores, Craigslist, ebay, etc. Many are 5 gallon and have cost me less than $50 ea.

Russell Lampron
04-04-2018, 07:45 PM
The plastic 5 gallon jugs that you can get at maple suppliers for storing syrup would work for you. They aren't very expensive and can be reused.

mainebackswoodssyrup
04-04-2018, 08:57 PM
What Russ said. I think they are like $8 each.

BCPP
04-04-2018, 09:38 PM
We use plastic containers, think they're 3 gallon. We filter by gravity through cone filter right into these screw top containers. By the time the syrup gets to the container it has cooled quite a bit so no worries about them melting.

DocsMapleSyrup
04-04-2018, 11:05 PM
You can get a set of 4 stainless steel nested containers with handles that hold from approximately 6, 8, 12, and 16 qt from harbor freight for approximately $20 for the set. They come with lids. They are cheap but I've been using them to draw off syrup into and put the lid on it. The lids just sit on top and do not snap tight. I've also used them to create the pig for my maple candy machine. Handy, cheap, and works for me

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-pc-stainless-steel-stock-pot-set-60624.html

CampHamp
04-05-2018, 07:07 AM
I do like Chad with the HF pots. If you keep the bottom clean (I sit mine on 5G paint bucket for draw-off), then you can nest them without cleaning out until season is over.

Snowmad
04-05-2018, 09:47 PM
I draw off into a 10 gallon stainless steel milk can. Got lucky and found it for $60 at a flea market. I use my cone filter in it by using vise grips to clamp it to the top but need to get a filter press for next year because I'm drawing off a lot faster and it's hard to keep up with the filters. The can has a nice lid as well. Watch for an Amish farm auction, you might be able to get one there reasonable.

DrTimPerkins
04-06-2018, 07:44 AM
Look for stainless cream cans / milk buckets at antique stores, Craigslist, ebay, etc. Many are 5 gallon and have cost me less than $50 ea.

Just make sure they are SS. Older milk cans can contain quite high quantities of lead and should be avoided.

SeanD
04-07-2018, 07:15 AM
I've been taking near syrup out of the pan at 216-217 degrees and put into a food grade plastic jug. Its always in the back of my mind that someday the hot syrup will melt a hole in my 7 gallon jug, should I be worried? What does the small time guy use that's safe? Thanks

I just found this, maybe I'm safe.

:Melting Points of Plastics

Different types of plastic have different melting points because they are different chemical compounds. For example, PVC melts at approximately 175 degrees Celsius (347 degrees Fahrenheit). Different types of HDPE, recycle symbol "2," have a melting point range between 130 and 146 degrees Celsius (266 and 295 degrees Fahrenheit). Different types of polypropylene, recycle symbol "5," melt between 160 and 208 degrees Celsius (320 and 406 degrees Fahrenheit). If other compounds are included in the plastic, making it impure, the melting point will be reduced

Those temperatures are way beyond your syrup temps. By the time my syrup has gone through the filters and into a plastic bucket, the hottest I've ever had the syrup was 130 deg. Even if you went straight off a boiling rig, you are still well below melting point.

Haynes Forest Products
04-07-2018, 08:21 AM
Now I use food grade buckets with snap down lids. I sell bulk to a guy that uses it to brew with and a word of caution. Yes I fill with my press right out of the boiling finisher and fill to the very top of the bucket. I leave room for the lid to snap in place and then I leave it in place until it cools. BECAUSE the top even though they have lids with the tamper prof ring in place they will blow the lid open spraying really hot sticky syrup all over you feet, floor and walls. When cool enough you can move them but its like shaking a soda can NOT GOOD. being in a hury can make a big mess when walking with a full bucket and the lid pops. DO NOT stack till cool that only compounds the effects....That's what I was told. :mad: