PDA

View Full Version : Sap clarity

goldnut
04-03-2018, 06:30 AM
Question about the last two small batches I made. I ran both through a cone filter but the results were a bit different. One batch is really clear and the other has a "satin" look to it. Would it have anything to do with the boiling process? Thanks Ken

maple flats
04-03-2018, 06:58 AM
Are you talking about sap clarity or finished syrup? As sap gets warmer it starts to build up the number of microbes in the sap and the microbes cause the sap to get cloudy. While clear sap is preferred, because the sugar content is higher, cloudy sap, as long as it is not buddy sap still makes great syrup. Late season syrup can be more of a challenge to filter. If you use a filter press you usually need to increase the amount of filter aid to get the syrup crystal clear, on a flat or cone filter you also have options, adding filter to the syrup before filtering is one, another is to run the syrup thru 2 or more times, but make sure it is hot each time and rinse the filter between batches. Reheating however will make the syrup a little darker.

goldnut
04-03-2018, 07:05 AM
I am speaking about the syrup. The sap was clear when I boiled. I only had a cone filter for filtering when I did these batches but since then have bought a filter press. The syrup taste great and has no off flavor to it. I guess I am wondering if this is sometimes a normal look. I can try to post pics after work if that will help. Thanks Ken

Sugarmaker
04-03-2018, 07:29 AM
Ken,
Sounds like your filtering process needs looked at. Probably some niter getting into the syrup. Could be several reasons.
Regards,
Chris

WoznicaSyrup
04-03-2018, 08:50 AM
Are you using just a single filter? Off our evaporator we have the syrup go through 2 paper cone filters and 1 wool. Takes care of 99% of any foreign material.

goldnut
04-03-2018, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the replies. I finish on the stove top. Then I pour the syrup through a cone and a pre filter and bottle. Maybe I should have done like you do Woznica. I have not filtered it coming off of the pan. That might have solved the problem. Ken

Sugarmaker
04-03-2018, 04:29 PM
No, finishing on the stove then filtering should be fine too. Your cone filter needs to be very clean, use hot water soak several rinses. Try not to wring the water from filter. Don't force the syrup through as it is draining.
Regards,
Chris

Cedar Eater
04-03-2018, 07:48 PM
Did you wash your wool or orlon filter between batches and did you happen to wring it out to dry it between batches? Wringing these filters will damage them and then they will fail to filter correctly. Failing to wash the filter between batches can also cause it to make the syrup cloudy, not to mention taste bad.

goldnut
04-03-2018, 09:19 PM
Hello CE! I did wash the filter between. I didnt wring it out as in twisting but I did turn it inside out and wash it, flip it back around and squeezed out the water with my hands. Ken

Sugarmaker
04-04-2018, 11:52 AM
Ken,
Sounds like your doing things ok.
Regards,
Chris

goldnut
04-04-2018, 11:58 AM
Chris, Im new to this site. I sent you a pm and was wondering if it came through to you? Thanks Ken

Sugarmaker
04-04-2018, 12:32 PM
Ken,
Got it and responded!
Regards,
Chris