PDA

View Full Version : Energy efficiency ideas for effluent water.

tuolumne
04-02-2018, 09:15 AM
For those with a steam-away or piggy back, I would like to share some ideas for using this abundance of hot water. I would also like to hear new ideas for next year. I am intrigued by H20s water jacket finishing tank and plan to build one to avoid re-heating our syrup on propane for canning.

We are running the water from our piggyback (100+ gal/hour @210) through the coil of a 40 gallon indirect hot water heater. This way we have an abundance of pressurized hot water available for cleaning needs. This tank (a Superstore) is well insulated and keeps the water hot for several days between boils. We need to drain it for long freeze-ups. While we're boiling we also use a rubber hose to backfeed the hot water into our house piping. This way everyone (11 in our household) can take turns with loooonnnnnggggg showers during boils. Of course there is a lot of extra laundry during mud season as well. A tempering valve is important there for safety, since the water in the indirect tank often reaches 200 degrees.

After it exits the water tank (temperature varies depending on our hot water demand at the house) it travels 150' to a 12'x24' greenhouse. There it runs through a series of 50 gallon barrels which provide overnight heating for the seedlings. We need to divert some of the water depending on sunshine so as not to overheat this small greenhouse. Late night boils are especially useful when things freeze.

How do you use this "waste product" at your sugarhouse?

tcross
04-02-2018, 09:46 AM
i don't have any "extra" of hot water off my rig, but I have to say... to me, that is some very cool stuff you're doing with what would otherwise be wasted! way to think outside the box!