PDA

View Full Version : Digital stack thermometers

mol1jb
04-02-2018, 07:39 AM
Hey all,

I would like to upgrade my stack thermometer from a magnetic probe to a digital. I am not worried about the accuracy as much as being able to run a wire from the stack to put the display in a place that is easy to view. Currently my thermometer view is blocked by the hood and I have to go to the back of the rig to look at it. But I haven't been able to find anything to this point. Any ideas?

wiam
04-02-2018, 07:44 AM
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Fahrenheit-Inkbird-ITC-106VH-Digital-Pid-Temperature-Controller-110v-cooling-fan-/222411469110?varId=521280869427&txnId=2061030444012

This works for me. He control will need to go in a box.

Haynes Forest Products
04-02-2018, 08:20 AM
Its a great way to get your rig fine tuned. Don't discount the need for accuracy because when its telling you the truth you make better decisions. I burn oil and still use the stack temp options on my Smoky lake draw off to see if my gun is working right.

Dr Perkins used the word REPLICATION and it is always passing thru my brain like a bad country song. When you decide to fire and with what type of wood to use will only happen when you can get real, true information every time. I visit a few sugar houses and mull mover how things are going and it seems they all have their opinions and man do they very.

Just like the end of night /last firing will you throw in a bunch of Pine or the big chunks of Ash. This year I spent a lot of time re calibrating my dial thermometers and my PID display to my tempeture probe and what ab differance it made going into my finisher. COMPANSATING was the name of the game BUT with real time accurate info your a better sugar maker.

BRL
04-02-2018, 09:08 AM
As Haynes says, having good temp gauges is like heaven. It gets you in a rhythm and makes your evaporator very predictable. We had most of our draws when our firebox was at 1600 deg and the stack temp at 1000 deg.

mol1jb
04-02-2018, 10:03 AM
As Haynes says, having good temp gauges is like heaven. It gets you in a rhythm and makes your evaporator very predictable. We had most of our draws when our firebox was at 1600 deg and the stack temp at 1000 deg.

Yes this setup is similar to what I would like to put together. Where did you source your components?

BRL
04-02-2018, 11:54 AM
https://www.auberins.com It's not the cheapest but I've never had problems with their stuff. Good Luck