PDA

View Full Version : Pan Design

ecolbeck
04-01-2018, 10:30 AM
I'm wondering about the sides of some manufacturers pans. Some designs are simple and flat like this leader pan.

Other designs have bends at the top of the pan like this CDL pan.

Do those bends have a name? What purpose do they serve?

Haynes Forest Products
04-01-2018, 10:44 AM
They do have a purpose and its for strength. Think about a corrugated roof and your ability to walk on it. SS pans are made as thin as practical and what I mean is the thinner the material the better the heat transfer. The thicker the material the easier it is to weld.

Ill get a few thumbs down on this one but I was doing some work over my arch/pans a few years back and with a thin Aluminum hood over it it was very hard to do the work........................so I poped the hood off and stood on the top of the flues. Yea at 220lbs maybe not the best choice but they were very stable and didn't give a millimeter CDL Ye Ha

There not easy to design into a set of pans and have them match up during the welding process but well worth the effort.

ecolbeck
04-01-2018, 11:05 AM
do folks generally find that its worth the extra cost?

amaranth farm
04-01-2018, 11:20 AM
Radio Silence.

Sugarmaker
04-01-2018, 08:17 PM
I would agree that a basic lip turned 90 degrees adds a lot of strength and stiffness.

Also these various shapes are also the signature of the manufacture. The edge design defines their work and are normally used for many years as they build pans.
Here is local Pan mfg that took a lot of pride in his edge shape. Simple and strong!

https://i.imgur.com/izZZiUJ.jpg

Regards,
Chris