PDA

View Full Version : Transfer line

Sinzibuckwud
04-01-2018, 04:30 AM
Looking too set up a gravity transfer line from my bucket collection area down to the shack. Only moving 50-60 gallons at a time. be nice to just lay the pipe\tubing on the ground as I have to cross a couple hundred ft of open yard before I hit trees. The most direct route is 1000ft long with 250ft of drop. Scratching my head trying to figure out what tubing or line to go with, everything I think of besides garden hose (not an option) needs to be stretched to lay flat. Any suggestions?

minehart gap
04-01-2018, 05:03 AM
Matt, why not simply use the mainline maple tubing that has the wire already in it and a tension grip on each end attached to ratchet straps. You could roll it up at the end of each season. If you bought or built a mainline trailer it would make the unrolling much easier. Rolling it up might be difficult but if you rolled it up on the trailer at least the tubing would be ready to install the next year.

Or bury the mainline then you wouldn't have to worry about it, just clean it.

Whatever you decide, make sure that you don't have anywhere that the sap will go downhill then need to go up(not even an inch up) it will create a place where the sap will freeze and may break the piping and may create an air lock.

Bricklayer
04-01-2018, 07:44 AM
If your going through the trouble and expense of running tubing to transfer sap from buckets. Why not just install tubing and get rid of the buckets and run it on gravity to your collection point. How much slope do you have? Might be able to run a 3/16 setup and not have to use mainline at all.
Then you can sell all your buckets and help pay for the tubing cost.

Sugarmaker
04-01-2018, 08:00 AM
What bricklayer said!
Regards,
Chris

Sinzibuckwud
04-01-2018, 04:35 PM
Got the boss on board, looking at 1\2" mainline to make the run.
Two options I was given I still have questions
If I go above ground,which I would prefer, I'm going to have to set a post for the start of the mainline. How much post and concrete do you suggest, 6x6 buried 4ft with 300lbs of concrete be enough?

Sinzibuckwud
04-04-2018, 05:59 AM
If your going through the trouble and expense of running tubing to transfer sap from buckets. Why not just install tubing and get rid of the buckets and run it on gravity to your collection point. How much slope do you have? Might be able to run a 3/16 setup and not have to use mainline at all.
Then you can sell all your buckets and help pay for the tubing cost.
I enjoy collecting buckets with my son for now. The road between the buckets and the shack can be crossed through a culvert. I'm bringing the main to that point on the shack side for now.

maple flats
04-04-2018, 07:05 AM
Are there no suitable trees to anchor to? A good heavy screw hook into a tree works well. I use a phone company type drive hook (I bought a box of 50 years ago, they are 3/8" diameter. I drill a 5/16 hole in as deep as the threads, then hammer it in. As the tree grows, back it out every 2 or 3 years til you just start to see the first thread. By the way, a phone worker told me when I asked why he hammered a screw in, he said the threads are only to remove it if necessary. If you have no tree, a 3 or 4" steel schedule 80 pipe, with the top welded shut or a cap screwed on is better than a PT post, or look for a length of old phone pole. Then set it 1' deeper than frost line in your area (so frost won't push it up and out), make the hole 10-12" diameter and fill it with concrete around the post. Then put a sturdy hook in the post.

Haynes Forest Products
04-04-2018, 07:53 AM
If your plan is to run the line on the ground then a simple T post set up will work fine for you. Drive that sucker into the ground as far as you can then then put a second one in about 8' back from that one and use some wire from the base of the back one to the to of your first post. You will be able to pull as hard as that pipe will allow. The smaller the diameter the better chance that the line will clear under its own siphon effect. 1" will self prime so to speak quicker. Over 1000' that thing is going to follow the terrain so plan on some freeze ups. I have mainlines all over the place and I guarantee your going to get bagging with frozen sap and you will be at the mercy of waiting for a thaw out.

Sinzibuckwud
04-05-2018, 07:37 PM
No suitable trees unfortunately, just a half dozen apples. I figured the 6x6 might not be enough, I like the t post setup or schedule 80, I will be able to place it right in line with that culvert and be close to the road. Easier said than done on this rock farm :lol: