PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy of dial thermometers vs digital?

penfrydd
03-31-2018, 06:42 AM
I started the season with a beer pot for finishing. It came with a dial thermometer. However, it never agreed, even within 5 degrees, with my two digital thermometers.

What are your experiences with dial vs digital thermometers? My digitals are nice, as they have a long cord which allows me to monitor the temp from my seat by the fire.

buckeye gold
03-31-2018, 07:21 AM
My personal opinion is dial thermometers are less accurate, but I have no proof. In any thermometer accuracy is pretty much related to cost.....buy cheap and neither is accurate. The old saying you get what you pay for is especially true in instruments.

DrTimPerkins
03-31-2018, 09:20 AM
Depends a lot on the thermometers. There are good and bad dial thermometers, and there are good and bad digital thermometers. Try boiling water and seeing what you get with each. Often you can calibrate them to that.

penfrydd
03-31-2018, 09:54 AM
My two digital thermometers both agreed and water boiled at 210.5 depending upon the barometer. That's just about right for my elevation. But the dial thermometers were way off. Neither of my dial thermometers were made for high temps, so I'm pretty certain that I was at the extreme end of their range.

The digitals are pretty accurate and not cheap ones.