PDA

View Full Version : Help... aquatech 8852 died ... No ro

Mark B
03-30-2018, 10:35 AM
I left my RO running the other day while I stepped out ran a couple of errands for an hour or two. I came back to find it dead. I left it running at about a hundred and twenty pounds pressure running at about a hundred and twenty pounds pressure and it was taking sap from roughly 2% to 6%.

I got a brand new power supply because the old one appeared not to be putting out the appropriate voltage, plugged it in, and still no pumping. Help! I am stuck boiling 2% sap.

Could the power supply have died and killed the motor at the same time? Any thoughts?

Cedar Eater
03-30-2018, 11:40 PM
I'm not familiar with the pump, but I see that nobody else answered and I am an electrical engineer, so I'll offer some opinions. The power supply isn't likely to have caused the motor to die, but it is possible. It's also possible but unlikely that there's a fuse or some kind of circuit breaker somewhere in the system that can be replaced or reset. IIRC, the power supply is just a 24 VAC transformer and the motor is just an AC motor. If there is no thermal protection on the motor, it might not have burned out, but it would most likely at least hum if that was the case.

So is either power supply and the motor still humming? If so, cut the power, open the pump and see if you can make the motor turn by hand. Whatever it uses for bearings may have seized and that would be hard to fix. If the power supply hums but the motor doesn't, the motor is probably electrically bad. If the transformer isn't humming, that's probably your problem. It is possible that seized bearings could make the power supplies fail or any kind of protection in the system could trip or open. If you had a voltmeter, you could verify the power supply is still working.

maple flats
03-31-2018, 06:55 AM
Do you hear anything from the transformer?, if yes, shut the power off and remove the pump head to see if you find any thing causing the diaphragm from moving. Can you turn the motor by hand, using pliers? Do you have a pressure gauge on the system and was the pressure at or near the 80 psi max shown in the specs?
That pump my not be readily repaired, a new pump might be in order, pronto quick. If you get a different pump make sure it is similar or maybe 100 psi pressure, the other components may not handle much more than that. May I suggest a 120V AC rather than one that requires a transformer to run. My question is, if the specs say 80 psi max how were you getting 120 psi?