PDA

View Full Version : Unistrut for arch frame?

Mrk59rsk
03-29-2018, 10:34 PM
Don't have a welder or metal working tools, was wondering if unistrut could be used for a small
2x3 arch? Thanks for any feedback yea or nay.

Haynes Forest Products
03-29-2018, 10:58 PM
I do both weld and us Unistrut and i would say NO. Heat has a accumulative effect and over time it will fail. What are you using for pans?

Mrk59rsk
03-30-2018, 08:45 AM
18x34x6 flat pan,I had the same worries using unistrut,was looking for opinions from others.
This hobby does bite you hard,may have to take the plunge on some tools. Thanks for the reply and time.

maple75
03-30-2018, 10:43 AM
I have used unistrut for various projects but would recommend welding up an arch. You don't have to spend a fortune on a welder that will do the job and it's a handy tool and skill to have. Building an arch is a great project to start with and material can be scrounged up affordably. Free oil tanks are always easy to come by if you're willing to pick them up. Buying a welder is probably cheaper than buying unistrut and hardware at retail prices.

sams64
03-30-2018, 11:20 AM
I learned to weld by building my arch a few years ago. Welding is an invaluable skill, even if you can just handle the basics (like me).

As stated above, you can probably pick up a cheap welder for about what you would have paid for the unistrut.

As far as learning to use the welder, youtube is your friend.

sam

Mrk59rsk
03-30-2018, 06:58 PM
Thanks to all for the feedback, looks like I'll be welder shopping!