PDA

View Full Version : tapping trees other than maples

maplekid
07-29-2007, 08:59 PM
i was wandering if you could tap any other trees other than maples i know elm rum sap and birch but what about apple trees or cherry trees.

Fred Henderson
07-30-2007, 05:18 AM
You can tap a fence post if you want too but I don't know how much sap you will get.

maplekid
07-30-2007, 08:42 AM
thre is a guy down the street that did that to get a rise out of peopole in the city

Fred Henderson
07-30-2007, 04:16 PM
I had a couple stop here a few years ago during the summer to buy syrup. He was from this area and she was from North Carolina. As we stood in the yard talking she notice some pine pitch running out of a wound in a white pine tree and asked if that was maple syrup. So we always tap a pine near the SH just for conversation.

maplekid
07-31-2007, 07:50 PM
did anything ever come out of the pine inkow you cant make anything like syrup outof them but i have always wandered

maplehound
07-31-2007, 08:45 PM
Several years ago my brother timbered his woods. When a neighbor stopped to see the operation he seen a maple log coming from the woods and asked if they where going to grind it up for the syrup. We sure had a good laugh from that.

Russell Lampron
08-01-2007, 05:15 AM
Matt and "The Governor" tapped a couple of pines last year over in Maine. They never posted any results about how they ran or the quality of the finished product.

Russ

TapME
08-01-2007, 06:19 AM
I think it was a sticky subject for them to talk abut Russ.

maple maniac65
08-01-2007, 06:41 AM
I tapped and hung a bucket on the telephone pole at the end of my driveway three years ago. Now I do it every year just for a good laugh. Sometimes thre is more liquid in that bucket then the big tank in the sugarhouse. Maybe that is why we made dark syrup this year.

maplekid
08-01-2007, 07:28 AM
on a telephone pole you say i bet you can boil that down and run you house with the electric heck you could boil it down to aa if you wanted to :)

royalmaple
08-02-2007, 05:44 AM
Boy oh boy, if you think maple sap is tricky before you get to proper density you are in for a treat when you first boil pine. Whole different character all together. Finished product is to die for.

Not for the faint hearted.

They are slow runners and vacuum doesn't seem to help. Also don't try sap ladders with pines you'll regret it. Nice thing is they seem to run best when it is just hot out. Don't need freezing nights.

I'd recommend using a used pan when you start, just in case it all turns out very very bad if you try it.

maplekid
08-02-2007, 01:21 PM
they make a product out of pine sap that cleans stuff. turpentine i think

TapME
08-07-2007, 06:08 AM
I taught that turpentine came mostly from the spruce tree.

Now do they make birch beer from the concentrate of birch sap?

Maplepro
08-07-2007, 02:36 PM
I have never heard of tapping pine before in western Canada they tap White and Yellow birch. White brich gives you a syrup that some people like i have tired it but much perfer maple! and Yellow brich gives you turpentine it can kill you if you eat to much of it. i might have to try tapping a pine i wonder if it matter what type of pine we have mostly white pine where I live.