PDA

View Full Version : ohio maple traders

maplekid
07-29-2007, 10:33 AM
has any of you maple traders in ohio gone to the quaker sqaure maple seminare in the past years. i am planning on going and want to know what it is like. do they sell any equipment.

maplehound
07-30-2007, 08:36 PM
The quaker show you are refering too is a national show. It only is held in Ohio one every many years. I would love to go but the cost of going is very high and is only touring maple stops that I have visited many times. The other tours are not related to maple and can be seen any time. The hotel should be very interesting to stay in. The rooms are all round as they are in grain silos, that have been converted to a hotel. I may try and go on WEd. there is no tours but many speakers for that day. Cost of just that day is $45 plus another $45 if you stay for the banquet. I probably woun't stay for the banquet at that price. Also I am having knee replacment surgery 8/21 and am not sure how well I will be able to get around by then.

TapME
07-30-2007, 09:18 PM
We will keep you in our prayers during the next mouth Maplehound.

Fred Henderson
07-31-2007, 04:29 AM
You do everything that the doc's tell you about that knee and all will turn out good. Good luck.

maplekid
07-31-2007, 09:32 AM
hope everything goes well maple hound. oh and thanks for the heads up 45 dollars that seem like a little much dont you guys think? hey maple hound by the way do you live up by new franklin or buck road i saw a sugarhouse resembling the one in your pictures?

maplehound
07-31-2007, 08:33 PM
Thanks all,
After missing last season due to back surgery I don't intend to miss another so I hope to be fully recovered in time to work in the woods to get everything ready for next year.
Maple Kid, I am not sure where new franklin is. I live in Columbiana, Ohio. Right on the line between Mahoning county and Coumbiana County. The best thing to find on a map is Youngstown Ohio. I live just a few miles south of Youngstown.

maplekid
07-31-2007, 08:39 PM
isnt that lane st rt 46 or i could be thinking wrong im pretty sure though. hope you can sugar next year

maplehound
07-31-2007, 08:41 PM
yep I live right on 46. If you are in the area stop by and see me

maplekid
07-31-2007, 08:46 PM
can your sugar house be seen from the road? but if im out that way i will definently stop in.

maplehound
07-31-2007, 08:57 PM
yea the sugar house sit right behind my house. I also have a sign in my front yard that says RACCOONRUN. ussually I have a maple syrup for sale sign hanging from it.

maplekid
07-31-2007, 09:19 PM
ok well i hope to see you in a couple of weeks. id like to see your setup and your tubing as im putting some up this year. thanks for the invite

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
07-31-2007, 09:34 PM
Ron,

Hope you have a speedy recovery and will remember you in prayer!

Jim Brown
08-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Does any one have any experience with the inexpensive refractometers that are found on E-bay? Price seems low?

Russell Lampron
08-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Jim,

I have one of those ebay refractometers for sap. It works good.

Russ

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
08-02-2007, 09:29 PM
I've got one for 45-82 brix and if it's a good clean(no bubbles) sample it works pretty decent. I still go back and make final sure with the hydrometer occasionally just to make sure the refractometer is in tune.

Jim Brown
08-03-2007, 06:40 AM
Thanks Guys for the input I think I will invest in one I have spent 25 dollar more foolish than that
Thanks again
Jim

Sugarmaker
08-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Jim,
I have a sap and syrup refractometer made in China and both work well.
Just make sure you read the directions for calibration of the syrup refract. the fluid they give you will melt the plastic lid. (voice of experience talking here) :)
Chris

Father & Son
08-05-2007, 11:22 PM
My wife bought me one for Christmas 2 years ago. It was the 0-80 with ATC (automatic temperature correction) and it works great. You don't need the calibration fluid you just calibrate to 0 with water.

Jim