PDA

View Full Version : Building a cupola

StephensMountainVermont
03-28-2018, 06:11 PM
Building a cupola on our almost flat shed roof just looking for ideas on size and design and how to build?

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

maple flats
03-28-2018, 07:37 PM
It should go by the size of your evaporator. Make it the same length and width as the evaporator and make enough height so when the doors are open you also are about the same square footage as the evaporator.

MISugarDaddy
03-29-2018, 05:43 AM
I agree with what Dave said, with one added thought. If there is ANY chance you will get a larger evaporator, make it big enough for that unit.
Gary

Dennis H.
03-29-2018, 06:06 AM
Up-swing doors!
I first had doors in my cupola that swung down and found that I got a lot of water from rain and melting snow coming in while boiling. SO after that 1st year I switched it up and put the hinges at the top and now they swing open from the top and I no longer get water in while boilng.
Added benefit is that they are self closing when I am done for the day.

fisheatingbagel
03-29-2018, 09:18 AM
I built a cupola on my almost flat shed roof, and it's been leaking ever since. I've flashed and tarred everywhere but still it leaks! The roof has asphalt shingles, and I think that's a big part of the problem. I'm thinking of re-roofing this summer with metal.

maple flats
03-29-2018, 10:20 AM
My doors swing down, but I have movement limiting check chains on them, so they only go about 5 degrees past level, I get no rain or dripping coming in unless it is raining and I have a stiff wind, in that case I close the offending side. My cupola vents well with just 1 side open when needed.

johnallin
03-29-2018, 12:20 PM
my doors also swing up. They're hinged on a piece of 1" iron pipe set into pillow blocks on ea side of the opening. I open with a rope pulley system and as Dennis H said, they are self closing and keep any rain or snow outside. Look close at the picture and you can see the pipe...it's about 6" down from the top. Line is attached to the top edge to an eye strap. I built them out of maple off our property and glazed with lexan panels to provide some natural light into the sugar house.

Sunday Rock Maple
03-29-2018, 09:33 PM
One thing to consider is if you are going to have hoods. We do and they vent into the coupalo, if that is the case the unit does not need to be as big.