PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning and storing RO system

Plutoman15
03-28-2018, 04:20 PM
I searched and didn't quickly see a past post though I am guessing there is...but

How do you clean and store you RO system for the year? Just run water through to get sugar out then just store it? or should you dry it out or is there a special fluid to run through and store?

Also, can you sanitize it with chlorine and peroxide?

Thanks,
Joe

Haynes Forest Products
03-28-2018, 05:02 PM
Follow manufactures recommended cleaning.

First you should be cleaning it every time your done for the day. Rince, Rince, Rince you can never do it enough. Then a soap wash of the entire system. When storing you need to drain all plumbing. I have my membrane cleaned and stored in a heated area by my maple support.

Plutoman15
03-29-2018, 06:17 AM
Yes, I always flush with clean water after using it. Didn’t know if I should store wet or take it apart and dry it out for long term storage. Also if I should sanitize with something.

Haynes Forest Products
03-29-2018, 06:51 AM
What do you use for water to back rinse and yes you wash with Soap that is approved for your membranes.

Plutoman15
03-29-2018, 07:35 AM
I use tap water or the RO water from the sap.

maple flats
03-29-2018, 07:54 AM
You need to follow the manufacturer's directions. They will have you run a cold permeate rinse, (look up time in the manual). Then do a soap wash (use what is recommended for your membranes), then a permeate rinse, then an acid wash (let it set with the acid for 2-3 weeks) then a rinse, a soap wash a cold permeate rinse then add a preservative. These should all be done using your manufacturers instructions, different membranes are not the same. If you built the R.O. go by the membrane manufacturer's instructions.
Never let the membranes dry out, they must be kept wet, you can also use an R.O anti freeze.

Urban Sugarmaker
03-29-2018, 08:02 AM
Yes, I always flush with clean water after using it. Didn’t know if I should store wet or take it apart and dry it out for long term storage. Also if I should sanitize with something.

I use tap water or the RO water from the sap.

Do not let the membrane dry out. Once wet, it is supposed to stay wet, preferably with permeate water. If you read instruction manuals available online for other ROs, tap water is not recommended due to minerals and chlorine it it's municipal water. Chlorine will damage the membrane.

You can build a storage vessel out of PVC pipe parts. I use a 1% solution of sodium metabisulfite mixed with permeate for storage. Change it after 6 months. When I open my storage vessel there is never any foul odor from bacteria. Just the chemical smell (which stinks also). Then rinse thoroughly before use next season.

Find it here https://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=%22sodium+metabisulfite%22

Incidentally, a CDL rep told me you can use well water to rinse before the first sap use of the season, but DO NOT concentrate it under pressure.