PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Filter right off the Evaporator?

WoznicaSyrup
03-28-2018, 01:13 PM
Taking a quick poll to see what everyone thinks. On our evaporator we welded threaded pipe nipples on either side of our draw off spout and screw in 2 pipes about 12" long. We hang a set of cone filters (2 paper 1 wool) so the almost syrup gets filtered right off the evaporator. It also gets filtered after being finished, and again on its way into our canning rig. Is this excessive? We've never had an issue with syrup clarity, sand settling at the bottom of our jars, or contamination in any way so we're hesitant to change our process but at the same time I'm worried we are losing syrup through all of that filtering.

Adkandy
03-28-2018, 01:24 PM
I'm not saying this is right way but I draw off through a dap filter just too catch the heavy stuff,then go straight through my flat filter in my canner,it helps too keep the prefilters from plugging.I then will dunk my sap filter into my rear pan a few times,hang it above pan too drip and turn it inside out in sink and rinse with hot water too clean it when it starts too get slow.There is minimal loss that way and I don't have too shuffle prefilters around.I say if it works for you then don't fix it?

EBG18T
03-28-2018, 02:13 PM
I pull from the evaporator into a 1gal ss jug and then pour into our filter tank 6 feet away. I guess thats not directly from the pan, but pretty close. I dont have any trouble yet..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tcross
03-28-2018, 02:15 PM
i draw off and filter all at once and do not have a need to filter again after. it gets sent to the canner right after. if you draw off at density or just above you can too. I have a rotation of two orlon filers that have 3-4 pre filters in each. one is in the draw off pail while the other is hanging above my syrup pan. each draw I change them out... residual syrup drips back into the pan.

Haynes Forest Products
03-28-2018, 08:01 PM
I just changed my ways starting yesturday. I have a 7 gallon draw off bucket with a transfer pump. Because I drum everything and have a 7" short bank press I was going crazy trying to fill one drum off my 70 gallon finisher. I have a filter try in my finisher and I now wait till I have about 5 gallons and dump in a cup of filter aid and give it a quick whirl with my Think and a red plastic food grade paint stirrer and hit the pump. My syrup in the finisher is nice and clear but will cloud up with heat but I get a drum thru the press now.