PDA

View Full Version : Floating syrup hydrometer in large pot?

mol1jb
03-28-2018, 08:42 AM
Hey all,

This year I used my hydrometer cup to test syrup coming off the evaporator. Next year I would like to take syrup off heavy and hot hold it till I bottle for the day, and then test it and thin it down to proper density. Can a syrup hydrometer be used to float in a large container like a coffee urn (what I use)? That would be the easiest for me since I know the temp would be constant but I just worry about losing the hydrometer in a container that large. Ideas?

crawflyer
03-28-2018, 09:27 AM
you may want to take a look at the Murphy Cup Smokey Lake sells. The best tool for finishing I have ever purchased.

Cedar Eater
03-28-2018, 09:28 AM
Yes. There are risks involved, though. A large pot can be turbulent. You would want to take your readings when it isn't. If you let the hydrometer drop in too fast and it breaks, that entire pot has to be drained and filtered to get the glass out. And then there is the lead weight issue. And since you will can at an inbetween temp, the red lines will be meaningless and you will need the temperature conversion chart.

Daveg
03-28-2018, 09:52 AM
That'll work fine.
I'm not able to turn my urn "on" (Westbend 100 cup) because the syrup in contact with the heating element immediately chars and results in carbon specks, so I insulted it with closed cell foam.

Road's End
03-28-2018, 10:41 AM
It can work, but I don't. I had a bad experience where I ws floating the hydrometer in about 6 gallons of syrup and adding water to bring it to density and ended up dropping it below pretty good. I think what happened was the water hadn't completely dissolved in because it was room temp syrup. I just dunk the hydrometer cup in now, messy but I haven't screwed up a batch that way.

mol1jb
03-28-2018, 10:46 AM
Yes. There are risks involved, though. A large pot can be turbulent. You would want to take your readings when it isn't. If you let the hydrometer drop in too fast and it breaks, that entire pot has to be drained and filtered to get the glass out. And then there is the lead weight issue. And since you will can at an inbetween temp, the red lines will be meaningless and you will need the temperature conversion chart.

It wont be boiling, but in my hot hold urn at 185*. I can work out the equivalent density.

mol1jb
03-28-2018, 11:08 AM
It can work, but I don't. I had a bad experience where I ws floating the hydrometer in about 6 gallons of syrup and adding water to bring it to density and ended up dropping it below pretty good. I think what happened was the water hadn't completely dissolved in because it was room temp syrup. I just dunk the hydrometer cup in now, messy but I haven't screwed up a batch that way.

Do you need anything to hold it in place or will it bob right side up just fine?

DrTimPerkins
03-28-2018, 03:41 PM
We use the Murphy Cup (takes a good long while before the temperature comes to a stable reading) and float a hydrometer in the drawoff tank. Works great.

wiam
03-28-2018, 05:16 PM
Do you need anything to hold it in place or will it bob right side up just fine?
As long as you are close to syrup it will float just fine. That is how I test in my double draw tank. One side holds about 8 gallons and the other holds about 14