PDA

View Full Version : Grate keeps getting plugged

OakFarm
03-26-2018, 07:41 PM
Leader Half Pint, my grate keeps getting plugged after about 2-3 hrs of continuous boiling. I’m splitting the wood into wrist size pieces the best I can, poking it, etc. and keeping the arch about 1/2-3/4 full max.

Do I actually need to let the fire burn down to the coals and remove said coals and rebuild fire? That doesn’t seem efficient tho. Any advice I is appreciated

motowbrowne
03-26-2018, 08:08 PM
Leader Half Pint, my grate keeps getting plugged after about 2-3 hrs of continuous boiling. I’m splitting the wood into wrist size pieces the best I can, poking it, etc. and keeping the arch about 1/2-3/4 full max.

Do I actually need to let the fire burn down to the coals and remove said coals and rebuild fire? That doesn’t seem efficient tho. Any advice I is appreciated

I've never run that size rig, but it had happened on both of my evaporators as well. Usually it happens when someone else is firing. When I'm the one adding wood I try to minimize it by adding layers of wood that run perpendicular to the arch. I also use a long poker with a right angle foot to slide in under the fire and clear the grates. I often will use the poker to pull a piece or two from the back to the front of the box as well. If the wood is small enough you should be able to make it work. Best to figure out how to prevent it than to have to fix it once you've got a problem. Also, softwood works best in my opinion. Some hardwood is okay, but it will make more of a coal buildup. I remember burning oak in my 2x10 and having to shovel out serval shovels full of coals in order to fix this same problem.

Of course a blower would probably fix it too.

Haynes Forest Products
03-26-2018, 08:30 PM
Do you have a ash door and if so you need to get good air to blow around and keep the great clear. I have never seen someone tend the fire. Open door pack with wood shut door don't be playing with it. Feed air from below. Coals are your friend.

OakFarm
03-26-2018, 09:52 PM
Sound advice all around. Ash door is fully opened, Although I’ve been placing the wood parallel to arch and will start laying them perpendicular. Burning a mix of seasoned oak and maple, not much choice there. Appreciate y’alls input, hope everyone is having a stellar run this season!

motowbrowne
03-26-2018, 10:01 PM
Do you have a ash door and if so you need to get good air to blow around and keep the great clear. I have never seen someone tend the fire. Open door pack with wood shut door don't be playing with it. Feed air from below. Coals are your friend.

The open door, pack with wood, shut door method works too, and I certainly do try to minimize the amount of time with the door open. But I can tell you there is a big difference in how effective someone can be at firing a rig, at least in my experience. I like to watch the top of the stack. When you're belching smoke you're not doing as good as you can. Open the door, add a few pieces in the right place and shut it. If it needs messed with though, I will. And taking five seconds to rake the poker over the grates is a good way to maintain maximum air flow through the grates. Personally coals are not my friend. I like flames! I had two other guys coming with me Friday. We were all taking turns firing. For the last hour I was the only one adding wood. The other two kept remarking that it was really thrumming. Just my .02.

RileySugarbush
03-26-2018, 11:13 PM
I try to alternate angling left and right when I fire the rig. A quick look for areas where thegrate is uncovered and make sure that area is covered is a good idea. But that is the opposite of the OP ‘s question.

To keep coals from blocking the grate you need enough draft to burn them up. A taller stack or a blower could help. Splitting the wood smaller could too. Make sure your grate doesn’t force the coals to plug the air hole/ slots. When I first made my angle steel grate I had it the wrong way and the coals funneled down and plugged up the spaces. Flipped it and it works well.

OakFarm
03-27-2018, 01:33 AM
Adding a blower seems to be a common theme to the advice here. Not an option this season, will definitely be adding that next season tho. Either way, I’ve learned so much from everyone here and it’s been a crazy awesome experience! Boiled off 60+ gallons tonight, hope to have another 60 gals of sap by The Weeknd.

Super Sapper
03-27-2018, 05:17 AM
Either lengthen the time between firings or add less wood when you fire. Adding less wood would be the best as you are adding too much to burn in the time between firings.

maple flats
03-27-2018, 06:43 AM
How often are you fueling? Which way do the V shape of the grates face? They should face up like the letter V not down. If they are right, try adding a minute to your fueling time. More stack can help too.

wnybassman
03-27-2018, 07:52 AM
I I start using a little more pine when the coals start accumulating. My firebox does the best when running 1/4 to 1/3 full. I also run a blower.

billyinvt
03-27-2018, 07:55 AM
One inexpensive "blower" option involves a 6" inline duct fan and some flexible duct pipe run in to the front of the ash door. Should be able to pick up everything at home depot for $50 or so. Adding air makes a the biggest difference.

abbott
03-28-2018, 06:09 PM
I've never run that size rig, but it had happened on both of my evaporators as well. Usually it happens when someone else is firing. When I'm the one adding wood I try to minimize it by adding layers of wood that run perpendicular to the arch. I also use a long poker with a right angle foot to slide in under the fire and clear the grates. I often will use the poker to pull a piece or two from the back to the front of the box as well. If the wood is small enough you should be able to make it work. Best to figure out how to prevent it than to have to fix it once you've got a problem. Also, softwood works best in my opinion. Some hardwood is okay, but it will make more of a coal buildup. I remember burning oak in my 2x10 and having to shovel out serval shovels full of coals in order to fix this same problem.

Of course a blower would probably fix it too.

I'm with you! I also made a long poker. I plan to run the poker over the top of the grates when I first stoke after drawing off, as that is when the fire is often the lowest. I keep it handy as needed. This causes the built up ash to fall through the grates for better air flow. I'm burning all hardwood on a 40"x10' Lightning with standard cast iron grates. Definitely well worth the extra 15 seconds the door is open!