PDA

View Full Version : filling without the foam up

maplekid
07-26-2007, 07:50 AM
do any of you guys ever fill your bottles and then they foam up and you have to wait for a minute or two and start filling again . well i was talking to a fellow sugarmaker and he said if you put a pair of pantyhose over the filling nipple it will not foam up when your fillin. do any of you guys use this method.

802maple
07-26-2007, 08:51 AM
I won't go there on that one but, if you let the syrup run down the side of the bottle it will not foam either.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
07-26-2007, 12:10 PM
I have a 15 gallon canner and I have a 1/2" stainless ball valve on it and below the elbow, I have a bottling valve that is necked down from Bascoms. If you use one of these and control the flow with the ball valve and not try to run it wide open, it basically eliminates all foam. Took me a couple of years to figure it out, but it works great.

brookledge
07-26-2007, 09:37 PM
I have heard of that but have not used it. Basically you want to keep the flow slow and steady without causing turbulence, that is what causes it to foam. Small size pipe or two valves together will help.
Keith

Parker
07-27-2007, 04:43 AM
A foot opperated-electric canning valve from the mapleguys also eliminates the foam (and speeds the process) it is a wonderful product..........

maplehound
07-30-2007, 08:41 PM
Maple kid,
Yes it does work and I can say that from experience. Of course you need a new one. It works on the same principle as the screen on a water faucet. If you remove that screen you will notice that the water flows alot more eratic and not in one straight stream. The same is true with syrup a screen ( panty hose) makes the syrup flow in a much tighter and less airid streams.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
07-30-2007, 08:58 PM
If you use it, disguise it where no one knows what it is. Sure would turn off customers.

maplehound
07-31-2007, 08:38 PM
The best thing I have found is to go to a ladies shoe store and ask, Beg or steal some of those hose that they give the ladies to use when trying on new shoes. I went with my wife and asked the lady for some. Telling her what I wanted them for, After I turned beet red and they all had a real hardy laugh the gave me a big handfull of them. I just tie them on around my fill nosel and they work just fine.