PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing evaporator

Getwidit
03-24-2018, 10:23 PM
I'm looking to buy this evaporator. I'm preemptively buying up I started with my own operation this season. I bought 30 acres which are loaded with maples. I tapped 50 trees this year and barely scratched the surface. I can't keep up with the sap. I'm looking for a decent 2x6 and I found this one for around 2k. I'm wondering what people's thoughts are the syrup pan looks alittle banged up. Please give me some Info thanks 18296

wiam
03-25-2018, 05:08 AM
I'm looking to buy this evaporator. I'm preemptively buying up I started with my own operation this season. I bought 30 acres which are loaded with maples. I tapped 50 trees this year and barely scratched the surface. I can't keep up with the sap. I'm looking for a decent 2x6 and I found this one for around 2k. I'm wondering what people's thoughts are the syrup pan looks alittle banged up. Please give me some Info thanks 18296

Condition of pan looks serviceable. I would check to make sure solder is lead free.

Russell Lampron
03-25-2018, 06:00 AM
Like Wiam said check to see if the solder is lead free. You can get a test kit at a hardware store. The pan is still useable, mine looks worse than that and makes great syrup.

What condition is the arch in? Look for cracks in the arch front, broken pieces on the doors etc rust holes in the tin and check the grates. If everything checks out 2k is a good price.

Getwidit
03-25-2018, 07:33 AM
Condition of pan looks serviceable. I would check to make sure solder is lead free. thanks for the input about the lead free solder. Looks like it might be rig welded I'll ask the gentlemen today. Just sucks I looked at a rig from a guy on this site drove over an hr and it was not as advertise for condition. Anyway, what do you mean by serviceable? Just a good cleaning?

wiam
03-25-2018, 07:42 AM
by Serviceable I mean it would make good syrup. I think the pans look soldered but could be wrong. Joints at divider ends would not usually be welded on both sides with a different color.

Getwidit
03-25-2018, 07:56 AM
by Serviceable I mean it would make good syrup. I think the pans look soldered but could be wrong. Joints at divider ends would not usually be welded on both sides with a different color. you really pay attention to detail. Thanks again. I see the solderi9ng on both sides now.

wiam
03-25-2018, 11:48 AM
That shape pan is usually soldered also.

Getwidit
03-25-2018, 02:53 PM
It's a small brothers lightening. Did some other research and they are usually lead soldered.

Mr Goodwrench
03-25-2018, 08:34 PM
That’s same setup as I have but my syrup pan is set up with float box and draw off towards the front of the arch. Hard to keep a hot fire so close to the doors. Should I turn the pan around and shorten the pipes from the flue pan?

Russell Lampron
03-26-2018, 05:30 AM
It's a small brothers lightening. Did some other research and they are usually lead soldered.

Small Brothers went out of business in 1995 which about the same time that the industry started using lead free solder. I don't know if they made any evaporators with lead free solder.

That’s same setup as I have but my syrup pan is set up with float box and draw off towards the front of the arch. Hard to keep a hot fire so close to the doors. Should I turn the pan around and shorten the pipes from the flue pan?

If it is possible to do so do it. It will make a big difference.