PDA

View Full Version : why no sap?

maplefarmer
03-23-2018, 08:02 AM
Tapped 2-16 and 2-17, have had 6 times we collected sap, but never like a big run, sometimes 2 bags on a big tree 1 is full the other 1 is empty, maybe next time it is totally reversed. now smaller trees might have 1/2 a bag of sap while larger trees only a dribble in the bottom. temps should be perfect highs in mid 40s lows in high 20s, starting to think trees are not going to run well this season, why ???? other note, the ground is dry, does that affect sap production?

littleTapper
03-23-2018, 08:08 AM
Open spiles will shut down more quickly since microbes make their way in more easily. New spiles or reused? Open buckets/bags, 4 weeks is almost as best as you can do. I've got new CV spiles with tubing to buckets still going like mad that were tapped when you did. Same with my vacuum taps. New CV spiles plus the vac = still runs hard. I'd guess that's what you're seeing.

jrm
03-23-2018, 09:18 AM
I had some of the same experience you had... 15 taps (buckets and spiles) and almost no sap, on trees I've tapped before. My first boil was only 4 gal of sap. Since then, and and after the last few storms we've had, with the weather back to perfect temps, my trees have started to low. Nothing major, by any means, some taps are still just dribbling, some are a bit better and I hi two that are doing pretty well... roughly a gallon a day. I'm boiling 15 gal now, and my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th boils were each three days apart and I had 5, gal, 8 gal, and just under 7.25 gal on each respectively.

I was sure I was done for, and I can't say what changed, but I'm making syrup. I wouldn't pull yet, they might be slow to the race.

Cedar Eater
03-23-2018, 10:00 AM
Are they sugar maples? While you can tap others, silvers and especially reds are more finicky without using vacuum. They may run poorly and shut down early. Vacuum can be a real game changer with them.

slammer3364
03-23-2018, 04:31 PM
Same problem I havent got a drop of sap in three weeks.I tap almost all reds and have for 10 years,this is the most weird year I have ever had.100 taps and no sap,how you going to run vacum on 100 taps running in buckets and jugs. I know reds can really be persnickety but this is crazy. The ground is still froze rock solid and there is snow in the woods.I think we really need some rain. Getting pretty late in the season.

bowtie
03-23-2018, 05:33 PM
It definetaly has been a strange year, here in western ny there is no frost in the ground. Same thing with sap getting some here and there but no big run days.

maple flats
03-23-2018, 06:17 PM
This year does seem unique. I only put out 225 taps this year because of health issues. Of those 225 taps, 49 in one area are producing well, the other 176, almost nothing in the last 3 weeks. Too cold here, the 49 that are running get more sun and there are no hemlocks in that area to give too much shade. By the way, I'm on 26-27" vacuum, until late this afternoon when it dropped to 17". I think either a line with a squirrel chew thawed or maybe some frozen taps got pushed out so they leak. Checking and fixing leaks is on the agenda first thing in the morning, as soon as things thaw.

SyncroScott
03-26-2018, 03:43 PM
I've got a related question. This is just my second year sugaring and I have 10 taps on buckets and 22 on gravity vac lines. The lines are still going strong but the buckets, like previous posters have indicated might happen, have started to dry up. Is there any damage by tapping a tree a second time in a season to get those bucket trees to produce again (using recommended tap hole spacing etc)?

Thanks in advance!

DrTimPerkins
03-26-2018, 03:53 PM
Two taps equals two wounds. The idea behind "sustainable" tapping is to never create more wounding volume than the tree can regrow during the growing season. If you tapped a 1-tap tree, don't drill a 2nd hole. If it was a 2-tap tree (based on size), and you only put 1-tap to start, then a 2nd-tap would be OK, otherwise, no.

With buckets, you should wait until appropriate tapping time (just before good flows/regular season). Timing is far less critical with tubing, especially if you're practicing good spout/tubing sanitation and use vacuum.

SyncroScott
03-27-2018, 11:22 AM
Thanks so much, Dr. (and what a luxury to know that the experts are willing to pay attention to the posts by us newer hobbyists)!

That's what I was thinking might be "best practice". Turns out I was just impatient, I got home yesterday to overflowing buckets...I guess they aren't quite done yet!

Besides tap holes starting to heal up, are there other detrimental effects to the trees and/or production by having an early run, followed by a stretch of cold, then by another run? How much longer do you think the season will last here in Underhill?

Thanks once again!

DrTimPerkins
03-27-2018, 12:13 PM
I doubt that you'll find anyone here willing to make solid predictions (if I could, I'd be working on Wall Street, or retired by now). We're hopeful that we'll be going to mid-April at least.