PDA

View Full Version : Sap sacs and squirrles

sherwoodm
03-23-2018, 05:40 AM
We’ve been using about 125 sap sacs for several years with good results- until now. Sometime during the recent cold spell the squirrles hit our bags and ruined 95 out of 100 in one area. All had holes chewed in bottoms of the bags. Going to replace bags and try using wide gorilla duct tape folded up each side on the bottom and let it stick out on each side. Also wondering about taping the bad bag over the new one, letting it stick out an inch or so below the new one. Looking for any suggestions. Really discouraged!! Thanks much.

amaranth farm
03-23-2018, 06:05 AM
Radio Silence.

sherwoodm
03-23-2018, 06:16 AM
Thanks. That will be part of the plan.

Wannabe
03-23-2018, 08:46 AM
I have had some luck in the past putting a new bag on and then the old bag with the hole back over the top so they're doubled up. I've only done it a couple of times but it seemed to work. I don't have a bad squirrel problem(knock on wood) so l have been just replacing the bag and calling it good lately.

It's worth a try anyways.

sherwoodm
03-23-2018, 10:37 AM
I have had some luck in the past putting a new bag on and then the old bag with the hole back over the top so they're doubled up. I've only done it a couple of times but it seemed to work. I don't have a bad squirrel problem(knock on wood) so l have been just replacing the bag and calling it good lately.

It's worth a try anyways.

Thank you. I’m going to try this plus the tape. Out of 45 i have done this morning 100 % had holes.

maplefarmer
03-23-2018, 09:15 PM
I like the idea of putting an old bag over a new one, seems like that might work, only problem is you have to get a bag chewed to have one to put over the new one. almost wish i would have kept all my bags that were chewed for next year, but think it would be quite a chore to clean them all