PDA

View Full Version : Hydra Vacuum Releaser

Ultimatetreehugger
03-22-2018, 12:19 PM
Does anyone have video of the hydro vacuum releasers inaction from this year? Can't find any online.

ennismaple
03-22-2018, 04:10 PM
I have not - but would like to see it!

Ultimatetreehugger
03-22-2018, 04:58 PM
Same here, the only person I know for a fact is using one is Gled Goodrich in Eden, Vt.

GeneralStark
03-22-2018, 06:12 PM
They have some video on the Northwood website.

http://www.northwoodsugarworks.com/hydra-releaser.html

DrTimPerkins
03-23-2018, 08:16 AM
Does anyone have video of the hydro vacuum releasers inaction from this year? Can't find any online.

We are testing one at UVM PMRC. I'll grab a video next time the sap runs.

Ultimatetreehugger
03-23-2018, 09:49 PM
Thanks Tim!

S.S.S
03-23-2018, 10:13 PM
We are testing one at UVM PMRC. I'll grab a video next time the sap runs.Dr. Tim how is it working so far compared to conventional releaser?

wdchuck
03-25-2018, 06:19 AM
I guess I'll chime in here.....I had the opportunity to convert over from mechanical to electric on one of my woods and went with the hydra. All I can say is that it works like a charm! Sap goes in, sap goes out. Incredibly carefree, and hasn't skipped a beat. Dean was responsive to any questions I had and always answered his phone. .......The only negative was that there was apparently a hiccup with a run of sensing rods, but even then, Dean was ahead of it before my sap even ran, and had a new one in my hands before sap flow started. I cant think of a better experience I've had with a releaser!......and I'd post a video, but its pretty boring- The sap stays at the same level all the time, and just keeps chugging thru the outlet pipe as its supposed to........ Dr Tim?

blissville maples
03-26-2018, 05:07 AM
Wdchuck, what was the cost? And what type of amperage is required to run the unit. They do seem very slick and trouble free

wdchuck
03-26-2018, 05:25 AM
Wdchuck, what was the cost? And what type of amperage is required to run the unit. They do seem very slick and trouble free
Without looking at the checkbook, I think it was 2700. The amperage is the same as a deep well pump, but with none of that slamming on and off all day, so no big draw on amps at startup.

DrTimPerkins
03-29-2018, 01:39 PM
Agree with wdchuck in all respects. Our unit has worked very well. It is hooked to 800+ taps. Our unit is programmed a bit differently than normal -- since we wanted to be able to try it with a lower number of taps than recommended it is programmed to pulse more than normal (so the level goes up and down more than usual, usually it is stable level/flow). Other than that, it just chugs along all the time. We have it running alongside our conventional electric releaser.

We're trying it because by having several of these (each with a flow meter) we could segregate portions of our bush better to be able to measure sap flow from different sections for comparison purposes. Seems to be working well and it's likely we'll get another 3-5 of them for next season. Dean and Andy at Northwoods LLC have been very easy to work with and accommodating of our many questions and requests.

Video at https://youtu.be/7Y_u_OuCCEo Line on the right is the wet line, on the left is the dry line

FL Maple
03-31-2018, 10:26 AM
I also installed a Hydra this year, on 700 taps with high vacuum. Has worked great so far. My only issue was the strainer clogging with slugs at the beginning of the season - the horizontal tube was 3/4 full of sap, but the sap & vac did keep flowing. I bought a 2nd strainer so I can easily switch them out and take it up to the house for cleaning.

karl evans
10-04-2018, 06:10 PM
Is there any news on the Hydra releaser. Heard a rumor in my parts they are having issues.

DrTimPerkins
10-05-2018, 06:54 AM
They decided to close and are no longer producing the releaser. Too bad — I liked it quite a bit.

n8hutch
10-05-2018, 08:03 AM
Have to Wonder if someone didn't buy their technology? I thought that they had Patents pending.