PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Here - Lots of questions! Tips needed

Smurphy0806
03-21-2018, 04:37 PM
Hi all - This is my first year and I'm using a turkey fryer. What tips and tricks do you have to make the propane go longer? Right now I have used 2 tanks and only boiled down 25 gallons to 5.

I'm going to start warming up my sap indoors prior to dumping it in the tank, how warm should I try? room temp? Just below a boil?

I am also going to try to get a wind block.

I know it would be more efficient if I had a larger surface area, but I don't know how I would accomplish that with a turkey fryer.

Any other tips and tricks are appreciated!

ecolbeck
03-21-2018, 05:50 PM
To speed up boiling I would keep the sap depth as shallow as you dare (~1”). Preheat the sap to as high a temperature as you can and add it at a dribble into your pan (pot?) to maintain depth.

mspina14
03-21-2018, 06:00 PM
If you are using a stock pot for boiling, you might try using a flat pan with a larger surface area.

I started out with a turkey fryer and a stock pot. I had a a square flat pan made for it after my first year. You might be able to find an inexpensive flat plan in the classified section of Mapletrader.

Mark

georgelineman
03-21-2018, 06:31 PM
just go to youtube and watch this its all you need to know. Welcome its a great hobby enjoy!!! sugarpoem.mp4