PDA

View Full Version : OK, What would you do.

Trapper2
03-21-2018, 01:36 PM
History: I've been cooking 2-3 gallon single batches on a 36" X 42" flat pan for 20 years, 10+ gallons an hour. I live 80 miles from my cabin and sugar property and I only cook on weekends now. 80 taps and I don't ever see that increasing. At near syrup I roll off the pan and prefilter and drain into jugs for finishing and filtering at home. On weekend I usually have enough help for rolling off. I always want 70-80 gallons to start. Pictures attached of the process.
With retirement only 2-3 years away, I'm looking to possibly upgrade to some other system for cooking, divided pan? I have a 50 foot elevation change in 200 feet so I'm also thinking about 3/16.
With all the knowledge on here, I will listen to all suggestions. Or do I just keep on doing what I have been?"

Trapper2
03-21-2018, 01:38 PM

Woodsrover
03-21-2018, 03:40 PM
3/16" into an IBC tote slightly higher than where you boil?
New small shed for your new evaporator?
Still draw-off near syrup and finish at home?

With elevation above my boiling point I'd surely let gravity work in my favor. Unfortunately I'm just the opposite so I pump up to my sugarhouse.

I hung 80 buckets this year but gathering them isn't my favorite thing to do. Awfully nice peeking out the window with binoculars and seeing how full my totes are getting from 180 taps on 3/16".

prairietapper
03-21-2018, 06:06 PM
Are the 80 taps all you can get? or is that all the buckets you wanted to dump? I would go with 3/16 if it were me.
and if my other place was in the city I would forget to go home after I retired ;) LOL

Trapper2
03-21-2018, 06:57 PM
Are the 80 taps all you can get? or is that all the buckets you wanted to dump? I would go with 3/16 if it were me.
and if my other place was in the city I would forget to go home after I retired ;) LOL

I have 120 acres that are 75% maple. So yes I could tap more but 10-15 gallons is all my family needs. What I’m questioning is what should I use for an evaporater. Or should I just be happy with my 10+ gallons an hour seeing that I only run 80 taps.

mol1jb
03-21-2018, 08:23 PM
I collect on hilly land as well and since installing tubing I would never go back to buckets. One collection point vs 80 is a no brainer for me.

As for the arch question Ill ask you a question back. Are you happy with 10gph? Sizing and efficiency of an arch has more to do with what you want to accomplish in a certain period of time. I will tell you that batch boiling is the most relaxed way to boil and there are days that I miss it. However boiling on my new 2x6 raised flue at 30ish gph makes me happy as well.

Trapper2
03-22-2018, 07:27 AM
I collect on hilly land as well and since installing tubing I would never go back to buckets. One collection point vs 80 is a no brainer for me.

As for the arch question Ill ask you a question back. Are you happy with 10gph? Sizing and efficiency of an arch has more to do with what you want to accomplish in a certain period of time. I will tell you that batch boiling is the most relaxed way to boil and there are days that I miss it. However boiling on my new 2x6 raised flue at 30ish gph makes me happy as well.

Thanks MO, I think you answered the evaporator question for me. I want to relax!! I have 20 gallons in the pan boiling and 100 gallons in the feed tank slowly trickling in, I fire up and walk away and cut wood, prune apple trees or look for Antler sheds away from my operation for 1-2 hours at a time and its still boiling when I return. This is possible for me with a 3' X 3' X 2' firebox. Probably not so relaxing if I need to fire up every 10- 15 minutes with the high boil models.

maple flats
03-22-2018, 07:49 AM
Lower the depth in the pan, at 1-1.25" deep you will boil faster, add a blower on a deep cycle battery and you may get to 40-50% more. At 1-1.25" deep you must keep a close eye on the pan, it can go from good to oops in short time.
If you are not looking to sell any, I would not make other changes, but if you would like to make for family and sell some I can help you spend all your money.

smokeyamber
03-22-2018, 08:01 AM
Batch boiling is really relaxing... I found that when I added my new pan ( divided ) the biggest factor in making me relaxed was the float box. I fill my head tank and then don't worry about the pan depth, I can also run a bit lower than I would on my old batch pan. So my votes would be for a float box to your setup if possible and the other nice thing is being out of the elements so a sugar shack/shanty is a nice addition. People also like to visit sugar shacks...

The comment about not going home is good too.. I finish my near syrup on propane in the shack and then only bottle inside. It keeps the mess out of the house and I can do it while boiling in the shack.

Finally your comments about exploring while the boil is on really connect to why I enjoy sugaring, it gets me out in the woods at a time that I would normally not be there to enjoy the spring as it slowly drips into life...

mellondome
03-22-2018, 08:14 AM
If you throw the ice out instead of putting it in your pans, you will have more room in them for sap.

whity
03-22-2018, 09:26 AM
If you throw the ice out instead of putting it in your pans, you will have more room in them for sap.

Agreed. Your just adding water to the concentrate. Unless your looking to prolong your boils! Make it fun, not a chore

Robert K
03-22-2018, 09:36 AM
Flued pan, more surface = more evaporation with the same amount of wood. With that drop 3/16 is ideal. Have fun!!

prairietapper
03-22-2018, 09:46 AM
I have 120 acres that are 75% maple. So yes I could tap more but 10-15 gallons is all my family needs. What I’m questioning is what should I use for an evaporater. Or should I just be happy with my 10+ gallons an hour seeing that I only run 80 taps.

well if I were happy with the 10gal/ hr. and I did not want to make more syrup than before. I would run lines on about 60 ( instead of the 80 currently tapped) and keep on keeping on with looking for sheds and pruning. :) while having more time to do those things than when I was collecting from buckets :)

berkshires
03-22-2018, 10:16 AM
I'm in the same boat as you in being nearly a two hour drive from my sugarbush and camp. So I pretty much only do weekends. For us, a batch boil is definitely the way to go. I can't imagine leaving sweet in there and wondering if it's going to make it through the week when a sudden heat wave comes through. Bad enough having to worry about sap in the buckets over the week. Get it on the evaporator, get it off, clean it up. Come back next week and do the same. That's the way to go.