PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to find land with sugar maples on it?

DocsMapleSyrup
03-20-2018, 08:05 PM
I'd like to tap a few more maples in my area but I don't know who or where to start looking for additional land to tap. Any suggestions on how to do so?

wnybassman
03-20-2018, 08:13 PM
Apply for a part time job delivering mail in your hometown. You'll know every maple tree in town by name (and address) lol

Haynes Forest Products
03-20-2018, 08:15 PM
Well I would start networking your friends and family. I know it sounds simplistic but once the word gets out and you start getting the word out that your looking things will start to materialize. I cant tell you the amount of times that once you start the conversation at a gathering that people open up about their shared interests.

motowbrowne
03-20-2018, 08:53 PM
I like driving around when the sugar maples are budding out, right after the syrup season. That light green color is super easy to spot and nothing else is in bloom right then. At least around here.

Cedar Eater
03-20-2018, 09:50 PM
I've had some luck finding maples on my hunting property by looking at Google Maps satellite images. They are a lighter green than most of the other trees on my land, one exception being wild cherriy trees. So, if you cruise around on Google maps starting with your own land as the center, you might find likely hardwood stands that you can then check out from the road. You could also start telling neighbors that you will trade syrup for tapping rights. They'll spread the word.