PDA

View Full Version : extra defoamer

toquin
03-18-2018, 06:51 PM
I have a unopened bottle of defoamer, whats the best way to store it for next season? Freezer or fridg?

Scm
03-18-2018, 08:11 PM

mellondome
03-18-2018, 08:20 PM
Fridge or freezer both work.

Dennis H.
03-19-2018, 06:02 AM
You can store in either the frig or freezer, really doesn't matter.

But I do have to agree with Scm, there are better options, I use safflower oil.
Until recently I did not know that regular defoamer that you get from the big maple equipment suppliers are a vegetable based oil with can cause allergy issues with some customers.
So this year I switched to safflower oil, sunflower will work also.

Also it is cheaper to buy and way easier to get, just go to your local grocery store.

Scm
03-19-2018, 06:33 AM

Daveg
03-19-2018, 09:45 AM
Sunflower and safflower oils can cause anaphylaxis in people who are sensitive to the Asteraceae/Compositae family.

Daveg
03-19-2018, 09:46 AM
Safflower oil can cause anaphylactic shock in people who are sensitive to the Asteraceae/Compositae family.

I’m sorry, but I have to say it. You should store that stuff in the trash.
Organic sunflower oil. I used 2 drops in 4 gallons. No taste, zero side effects.

Scm
03-19-2018, 10:05 AM

Whitcomb Family Farm
03-19-2018, 07:11 PM
Used butter for years and I would still use it if I didn't sell bulk. No chemicals that are bad for you or you can't pronounce and it worked better than atmos. People around here have used butter for hundreds of years and nobody ever keeled over dead from their syrup.

GeneralStark
03-19-2018, 08:23 PM
Until recently I did not know that regular defoamer that you get from the big maple equipment suppliers are a vegetable based oil with can cause allergy issues with some customers.

Any source for information regarding allergy issues with Atmos?

GeneralStark
03-19-2018, 08:24 PM
It’s worse than vegetable oil. There’s not a single “natural” ingredient in there.

What ingredients specifically in Atmos are not "natural"?

GeneralStark
03-19-2018, 08:25 PM
Used butter for years and I would still use it if I didn't sell bulk. No chemicals that are bad for you or you can't pronounce and it worked better than atmos. People around here have used butter for hundreds of years and nobody ever keeled over dead from their syrup.

Perhaps not but those with dairy allergies may want to know if their syrup is contaminated with something that may make them sick.... and just because you can pronounce the word "butter" does not mean you won't be allergic to the compounds it is composed of.

Scm
03-19-2018, 09:20 PM

amaranth farm
03-19-2018, 09:28 PM
Radio Silence.

GeneralStark
03-19-2018, 09:35 PM
“Natural” is a loose term.
See my post here:
http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?32205-Defoamer&p=346519#post346519

Defoamer pdf here:
https://www.leaderevaporator.com/pdf_files/atmos-300k.pdf

You didn't answer my question.

GeneralStark
03-19-2018, 09:36 PM
To start with, Propyl Gallate. Oddly enough, it is a known allergen.

http://www.dormer.com/Allergens/PDF/P_InfoEn/P-021.pdf

What defoamer options are available which are not considered an allergen?

amaranth farm
03-19-2018, 09:59 PM
Radio Silence.

Dennis H.
03-19-2018, 11:25 PM
In this day and age, it seems like someone somewhere is allergic to something.
I agree that if you use the least amount of which ever defoamer that you choose that the residual that is in the syrup would be very small, but then again if you do not let your customers know what you do add or put in the syrup it could be opening you up for some tough times if they have an issue and determine that it was the defoamer that you added while making the syrup.

Peanuts are a good example how things could go. More and more food producing facilities will not allow ANY peanuts in the building at all due to possible contamination of the finished product. That includes the lunches that the workers bring in for lunch time.

Scm
03-20-2018, 07:10 AM

Scm
03-20-2018, 07:20 AM

GeneralStark
03-20-2018, 07:28 AM
Atmos “poisons“ everyone.

And where is the evidence to support your statement? If it were the case then medical journals would be full of articles related to health issues correlated with consuming maple syrup. And yet there are not...

Scm
03-20-2018, 07:40 AM

DaveB
03-20-2018, 07:53 AM
I posted link in the previous reply. If they are not reason enough for you to take notice. Well, you still have the right to take all the chances you like. Good luck.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4722432/Medical-journals-publish-fake-Star-Wars-paper.html

The linked article is about how journals published spoof articles, not how Atmos is poisoning people.

Regardless of it's content, I'm still not convinced that it is present in sufficient quantities to either cause an issue or warrant listing as an ingredient.

Scm
03-20-2018, 07:59 AM

JoeJ
03-20-2018, 09:50 AM
I have used Atmos defoamer for 14 years and have never had anyone complain of the Atmos taste in my syrup nor have I ever personally gotten sick for ingesting a lot of my own syrup that was produced using Atmos 300 defoamer. One day last week I made 110 gallons of syrup using only about 1 once of Atmos 300. If you do the math, that give you a concentration of .000071 percent. Kind of a microscopic amount of Atmos 300 in the syrup even if all of the Atmos went through into the syrup without any evaporation or dissipating. If you don't like the Atmos 300 for a defoamer, don't use it.

Joe

DaveB
03-20-2018, 09:55 AM
He was asking for medical journal articles. Because they are so accurate? (Hence the link)

I won’t risk my life to find out. Anyone else is welcome too. Please post the long term results.

So, in essence, you're saying just because peer reviewed journals have published spoof articles in the past that it means that all articles are suspect? The fact that they were revealed speaks volumes to the peer review process and the spoof article is discredited. Further, just because the spoof articles were printed would not rule out publishing and having other researchers comment on an article on how atmos is poisoning people. The only thing we're left with is a non-reviewed journals and what good are those since researchers can't comment or validate the results.