PDA

View Full Version : When to seek help

Greenthumb
03-17-2018, 07:39 PM
When do you seek help for this. I have no problem judging someone by counting how many taps they could put in the trees in their yard.

I think I have a problem

mspina14
03-17-2018, 07:46 PM
It's futile to resist....

maple flats
03-17-2018, 08:02 PM
There is no help, you are addicted, just enjoy it. Just be glad it's legal and fun for the whole family.

Run Forest Run!
03-17-2018, 08:27 PM
Greenthumb, I'm lucky to be able to keep my car out of the ditch these days. If I see a big juicy maple tree I can barely stay in my lane. :lol:

TerryEspo
03-26-2018, 09:34 PM
That's funny Karen !!

Gord
03-27-2018, 07:05 AM
Just be glad it's legal.

I would think that would make it more fun! Having to go deeper in to the woods, like a moonshiner, trying not to get caught and not let anyone find their still. We'd be trying to hide the buckets and steam.

maple flats
03-27-2018, 07:08 AM
For those who put too many taps in a tree I just wonder why, but beyond the amusement nothing. However over tapping does shed a bad light on maple producers, even if that tree with 12 buckets on it is being cut down after the season.

heus
03-27-2018, 07:22 AM
For those who put too many taps in a tree I just wonder why, but beyond the amusement nothing. However over tapping does shed a bad light on maple producers, even if that tree with 12 buckets on it is being cut down after the season.
Dave I completely agree! I was lambasted either on this site or the other one years ago for saying this very thing. I was told its nobodies business, etc.It was a thread about someone putting 10 or more taps in a yard tree that they planned to cut down. When I drive by a house that has 5-6 buckets on an old maple it ticks me off because it is indeed giving maple producers a bad name.

BCPP
03-27-2018, 08:18 AM
Not sure I agree with you about the bad name thing. 50% of those driving by will not even know what the buckets are for! 99% will not have a clue that overtapping a tree is harmful to it. The only ones upset by it will be a very small number of knowlegable maple producers.

We run an annual maple festival that draws around 40,000 people. It is scary how little the general urban public knows about the natural world! I've had people argue with me that all that's in our sap buckets is water! One lady wanted to know if all these trees were maple (We're at the edge of a mixed hardwood / conifer forest!).

Haynes Forest Products
03-28-2018, 08:21 AM
Then the next thing you see is Yahoo posting his operation on Youtube and he is tapping trees with sprinkler fittings and garden hose all running into a used oil barrel.

Well I saw it on the interweb so it has to be true.

BreezyHill
03-28-2018, 09:14 AM
The fact that you have come to the realization that you may need help is a point that many reach.

The issue is that you are judging others...There is no one master plan that all can follow. The goal should be to see what they have used in their operation that works well for them and if you can duplicate the results in your operation.

Tapping more trees takes time; so do everything you can to save time, so you can tap more trees to fill your desire of boiling more sap, to draw off more LIQUID GOLD!

It is more like liquid bronze now days, but it still tastes good! lol