PDA

View Full Version : Intake float question

generic_name_here
03-17-2018, 11:39 AM
Hey guys, we picked up a used waterloo /small evaporator this year. We got it all up and running our only issue is with the intake float, it won't seal and always allows fresh sap into the pan. Any idea what this float is called / tips and tricks to get it flowing right ? Ive replaced the o ring and it still won't seal. Thanks for the help.

mol1jb
03-17-2018, 11:50 AM
Hey guys, we picked up a used waterloo /small evaporator this year. We got it all up and running our only issue is with the intake float, it won't seal and always allows fresh sap into the pan. Any idea what this float is called / tips and tricks to get it flowing right ? Ive replaced the o ring and it still won't seal. Thanks for the help.

You mean allows sap to enter when the rig is shut down? I have heard that its not uncommon for a float not to seal completely. I put a shutoff in my evap feed line to I can just turn it off when not boiling to stop sap from tricking in.

maple flats
03-17-2018, 11:51 AM
Do you detect any liquid in the float? When you lift the float does it stop the flow?. If no liquid in the float and it stops the flow when you lift the float that may not be the right float for it, you may need a larger one. Are there any scratches big enough to affect the seal?
How high above the float box is your head tank? It could have too much head pressure too. If the sap level runs OK while boiling but floods the pan when not boiling, that is quite common, close the supply valve.
That type of float valve is one of the better designs.

generic_name_here
03-17-2018, 12:07 PM
Do you detect any liquid in the float? When you lift the float does it stop the flow?. If no liquid in the float and it stops the flow when you lift the float that may not be the right float for it, you may need a larger one. Are there any scratches big enough to affect the seal?
How high above the float box is your head tank? It could have too much head pressure too. If the sap level runs OK while boiling but floods the pan when not boiling, that is quite common, close the supply valve.
That type of float valve is one of the better designs.

When its off the pan, and the plunger portion us inserted to the tightest closed position and a flash light is on the other end shinning light up it you can see light / gaps for the sap to flow around. Installed with the pan running full tilt ur will still flood out the pan. And you can't lift the float to stop the flow, some sap always gets by. We thought about head pressure as an issue , but even with the tanks valve half open sap still pours in . No major scratched on the unit that i can see.

BCPP
03-18-2018, 05:59 AM
We have the same evaporator but have never had an issue with the valve leaking. Top of our head tank when full is about 4' above the valve. I've left it for several days with no issues.

I did have the finishing pan valve (which is the same design) leak once overnight and flood the finishing pan. Never found out why and it kept on working so I'm guessing some small particle must have kept it from fully closing.

Did you coat the ss plunger with food grade silicone grease when you assemble? Could the valve have deformed from freezing - doubt it as there are much weaker pipe areas that would give to ice pressure. Are you sure its the correct O ring in both diameter and thickness? Give Lapierre Waterloo Small a call and ask them if they have any suggestions- they've always been very helpful.

wnybassman
03-18-2018, 06:19 AM
That is identical to mine, and also have never had a problem with it. That is the same color o-ring as mine, so it must be original I'm guessing. I've never even had mine out to look at it. When you see light shining through, is it all the way around or two sides like it might be egged shaped? Is the o-ring aged and hard?

Russell Lampron
03-18-2018, 06:34 AM
Where are the valve and float located? I can't see it in the pictures that you provided and am wondering if it is assembled correctly. I have a different brand of evaporator than you do but on mine the valve is located where your sap is pouring in and the float arm pushes up against that to close it.

JoeJ
03-18-2018, 06:34 AM
I have the same Small brothers float on both my evaporator float box and the steam away float box. I paid Lapierre to modify both of the original POS Leader float boxes to the Small Brothers float system and they both work perfectly. I do have to clean the evaporator float plug about once or twice a season when it gets coated with niter and starts to let sap leak by. There has to be something wrong with the shape of your elbow or the float plug.

Joe

generic_name_here
03-19-2018, 01:38 PM
Did you coat the ss plunger with food grade silicone grease when you assemble? Are you sure its the correct O ring in both diameter and thickness? Give Lapierre Waterloo Small a call
I did not coat it with grease, didn't think of that at all actually. I was unsure of the maker of the box, the setup is used and new to us but I will give lapieere a call. The old o ring was a bit hard so I ordered a new one, which is still leaking in the same manner. I Had the old one measured so I could replace it and it is possible that it was not factory and the wrong size.
Here is a few more pictures that I have of this little pest. 1820318204

ennismaple
03-19-2018, 02:36 PM
We've got the same set up for our float box. If the curved piece isn't exactly perpendicular to the flat stock the plunger will leak a bit.

Overnight we always close the valve to avoid accidentally flooding the pans.

BCPP
03-20-2018, 03:39 PM
We've got the same set up for our float box. If the curved piece isn't exactly perpendicular to the flat stock the plunger will leak a bit.

Overnight we always close the valve to avoid accidentally flooding the pans.
Following on from this, in my float pan the bar that lifts the valve is much more horizontal, even a slight " downward angle" compared to your picture that shows an "upward" angle. Could it be the more severe angle is causing the valve stem to bind and not slide freely? I guess, however, that does not explain being able to see light through the seal. I think until you find a way to get the valve to form a light tight seal it will always leak.18229