PDA

View Full Version : Leaving sap in pans

djblech
03-17-2018, 08:03 AM
I have a Mason 2x4 XL that i just did a test boil on yesterday. Do I just leave sap in the pan at night? It has been getting cold here MN 10* this am, so it will probably freeze. What about the preheat pan, should that be drained down? I just don't want to hurt my pans.

Jolly Acres Farm
03-17-2018, 08:29 AM
We also run a Mason 2x4 XL. When I get ready to shut down for the night, I increase the sap depth by 1 1/4-1 1-2 inches deeper then I usualy ran at. I then run this for a hard boil for 10-15 minutes then shut down. My preheater is always empty and all the sweet (sap) in the pan has been hard boiled to help prevent spoilage. By the time all the firebrick cools and evaporation stops I end up around the same depth I started at.
Also before shutdown I like to draw off 1-2 gallons from the syrup side, I run this through a filter also. (Done before adding the extra sap above) The next day once I have the evaporator boiling again I add this back into the pan on the syrup side. It helps build up your gradiant much faster.
I am by no means a expert, but if you need any pointers, or have additional questions PM your email. I would be happy to help if I can.

steve J
03-17-2018, 10:31 AM
I do the same as above except if I believe its going to get into single digits like tonight I drain pan once it has cooled. Than when ready to boil I filter the drained sap prior to putting back in the pan.

VTmaplehobby
03-23-2018, 10:38 AM
We run a 2x4XL Mason as well and our shutdown procedure is almost identical to what Jolly Acres described. We will often reverse once every other boil and then draw off all the sweet through a cone prefilter or 2 after it has cooled and wash the pan and scrape the pan bottom. We run a giant blower and manage about 12-15 gallons an hour regularly on ultra fine dry hardwood splits. 18276