PDA

View Full Version : XLE 4040 plumbing - which end?

SilverLeaf
03-16-2018, 11:16 AM
I know that the center port = permeate and outside port = concentrate, but I'm having trouble understanding the correct "end" to go in and out of my 4040 membrane housing.

1) There's no "gravity" benefit to plumbing the sap in from the top, correct? (I'm assuming the pressure does all the work, not gravity) It's easier in my case to plumb in from the bottom.

2) Do the permeate and concentrate come out of the same end (opposite the end where the sap goes in)? Or does the permeate actually come out the same end as where the sap went in? (or doesn't it matter?) It feels like I"m seeing conflicting info on this. To better illustrate my question:
Option A: permeate out and concentrate out of the same end (opposite sap in)

Option B: permeate out the same end as sap in

Urban Sugarmaker
03-16-2018, 01:00 PM
You can feed the membrane from either end...it doesn't matter. Permeate can exit either end as well, but you would normally plug one end of the permeate tube. Mine feeds sap in the "bottom" and permeate and concentrate come out the "top". Mine is exactly like your option A. The pump does the work, not so much gravity although gravity can be helpful to your pump in terms of priming and feed pressure.

The concentrate has to go in one end and out the other because you want the fluid moving across the membrane. The output end will be restricted by your control valve to increase pressure and allow the membrane to concentrate the sap.

Both of your drawings will work. Do what works best for your plumbing.

I might suggest incorporating a drain if you are vertically mounting. It will make membrane removal a much less messy process. I plan to add one to mine.

SilverLeaf
03-16-2018, 03:24 PM
I might suggest incorporating a drain if you are vertically mounting. It will make membrane removal a much less messy process. I plan to add one to mine.
Oh, wow, never thought of that before - that's a great idea!

maple cove
07-09-2018, 03:46 AM
Could someone add a drawing of the second add on membrane? Thanks Vernon

Flat Lander Sugaring
07-10-2018, 06:15 AM
depends if you go series or parallel how you feed the membranes. I have 2 in parallel then goes to 2 in series with a total of 4 membranes. Permeate doesnt care where it all comes out but concentrate if in series does.