PDA

View Full Version : upgrade question.

prairietapper
03-16-2018, 10:01 AM
So here is the deal. I have a 2x4 pan ( reversible)with drop flues in the sap pan. ( 2x2) and the syrup pan is obviously 2x2 also and it is two compartments of 1x2.
this is what I am thinking. I want to build a new arch and add a preheat pan behind the flue pan. ( the arch was designed for oil which I no longer use so changing the arch to something that works better with NG makes sense to me )
question 1
would adding a 2x3 preheat pan be to big? ( I can add a bubbler to the flues infact I was just given an air pump that was used in foamer demonstrations for spray rigs. high pressure and volume, 110 volt motor. )
question 2
I think I would like to add more dividers in the syrup pan. how many is to many? Is more better until the point that you can not get a scoop in to get foam out?
thanks for any input I might get! it does not help that living here in central il this is the only rig I have seen in action or used !

mol1jb
03-16-2018, 12:20 PM
Hey if you live around Peoria come over and check out my 2x6 raised flue. I built the arch for it and it can give you some ideas. We are finishing up today and I will have time in the coming weeks to show you around if you like. Send me a PM if interested.

prairietapper
03-16-2018, 12:31 PM
thank you! I am hoping to squeak out one more boil yet. but I will fit in a trip over as you are only about an hour away. I will send a PM when I know better when I can fit it in

Russell Lampron
03-16-2018, 07:47 PM
So here is the deal. I have a 2x4 pan ( reversible)with drop flues in the sap pan. ( 2x2) and the syrup pan is obviously 2x2 also and it is two compartments of 1x2.
this is what I am thinking. I want to build a new arch and add a preheat pan behind the flue pan. ( the arch was designed for oil which I no longer use so changing the arch to something that works better with NG makes sense to me )
question 1
would adding a 2x3 preheat pan be to big? ( I can add a bubbler to the flues infact I was just given an air pump that was used in foamer demonstrations for spray rigs. high pressure and volume, 110 volt motor. )
question 2
I think I would like to add more dividers in the syrup pan. how many is to many? Is more better until the point that you can not get a scoop in to get foam out?
thanks for any input I might get! it does not help that living here in central il this is the only rig I have seen in action or used !

If I'm reading this correctly you want to make the arch to fit 7' of pans? If so make it 6' long and find a 4x2 flue pan to go with your 2x2 syrup pan. Add two more dividers to your syrup pan, 3 total, to make 4 channels. They make a scoop to fit that size channel.

prairietapper
03-17-2018, 12:37 PM
If I'm reading this correctly you want to make the arch to fit 7' of pans? If so make it 6' long and find a 4x2 flue pan to go with your 2x2 syrup pan. Add two more dividers to your syrup pan, 3 total, to make 4 channels. They make a scoop to fit that size channel.

what your saying makes a lot of sense Russell and maybe that is what I really should do. ( new pans) part of the issue is they are not built separately. I would have to replace all the pans if I were to go that route. That is not in the budget and remain married at this time :) as old debt comes before new wants :)
hence I am trying to make something work with what I mostly have on hand. even if it is more than a little odd. the exception to that is a preheat pan. I suspect I am not going to have one of those fall into my shack for free :) and ceramic blanket. there is no way I am building a new arch without it!
on the syrup pan dividers- that is the least I was considering adding. I am more than willing to go another divider each if it will improve the gradient.

Thank you for the input Russell!

mol1jb
03-17-2018, 07:25 PM
what your saying makes a lot of sense Russell and maybe that is what I really should do. ( new pans) part of the issue is they are not built separately. I would have to replace all the pans if I were to go that route. That is not in the budget and remain married at this time :) as old debt comes before new wants :)
hence I am trying to make something work with what I mostly have on hand. even if it is more than a little odd. the exception to that is a preheat pan. I suspect I am not going to have one of those fall into my shack for free :) and ceramic blanket. there is no way I am building a new arch without it!
on the syrup pan dividers- that is the least I was considering adding. I am more than willing to go another divider each if it will improve the gradient.

So that is like an older hybrid pan? Very cool. Have you thought of building a hood and parallel flow preheater? When you come I will show you how I built my hood out of aluminum flashing for next to nothing. I'll be adding a preheater before next season.

prairietapper
03-18-2018, 12:50 AM
So that is like an older hybrid pan? Very cool. Have you thought of building a hood and parallel flow preheater? When you come I will show you how I built my hood out of aluminum flashing for next to nothing. I'll be adding a preheater before next season.
dads plumber friend made a copper preheater that goes on the flue pan. it helps a lot but yes I want to do something better.
what kind of temps are you getting out of your preheater?

Russell Lampron
03-18-2018, 06:01 AM
18170on the syrup pan dividers- that is the least I was considering adding. I am more than willing to go another divider each if it will improve the gradient.

Adding two more dividers to the syrup pan will improve the gradient. Think of it as a long troth. With one divider that troth is 4' long and 1' wide meaning that it will take a lot of sugar to fill the end near the draw off to syrup density. Add two dividers and that troth now becomes 8' long and 6" wide. You have a much smaller space for the sugar to concentrate to syrup density at the draw off so it will happen faster.

prairietapper
03-18-2018, 10:54 AM
Adding two more dividers to the syrup pan will improve the gradient. Think of it as a long troth. With one divider that troth is 4' long and 1' wide meaning that it will take a lot of sugar to fill the end near the draw off to syrup density. Add two dividers and that troth now becomes 8' long and 6" wide. You have a much smaller space for the sugar to concentrate to syrup density at the draw off so it will happen faster.
that is my hope! because i actually hope i can get enough heat in the sap in the pre heater pan that by the time it works its way through the flues that are boiling evenly and down the much longer run of syrup pan. i can run continues flow with enough coming off to make it worth it ... it might be a pipe dream.
as it is now I can throttle up almost to where i once scorched the front of the flues and it still takes 4 hours to get the bricks in back under the flues glowing. and it is only 2 more feet. that is why i came up with the idea of putting that burner only under the flues with more room under the flues if i blast those brick it should be relatively even heat. and use burners more like a traditional gas syrup finisher under the syrup pan. Yes two burners and two controls will make it real easy to destroy the pan.. but i have come way too close as it is. and if i can not i might as well go back to oil. i have not forgot what the fuel bill was at 4.85 a gallon, no it is not that high now..but it will be again someday

mol1jb
03-18-2018, 05:39 PM
Do you have a welder in mind to work on the pan? That may be the hardest part to find. Another option I thought about was to buy a seperate syrup to put in front of your hybrid pan. That would make your new rig a 2x6 with out risking any damage to your current pan. Used syrup pans are plentful at bascom.